What, In Your Opinion, Is THE BEST Online Photography Course For Beginners?

CrazyChef

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are a multitude of fantastic answers possible. We all learn in our own ways. But there are just a plethora of courses available out there, and my head is starting to spin going through them. And there are probably hundreds more that I haven't even discovered yet. I need to learn the basics, in easy to understand non technical terms. I really want to start off with the basics of aperture, ISO, shutter speed settings, etc. and go from there. Preferably something that is a written style, with videos to clarify the text. And if it centers around the Nikon series of DSLRs, that totally would not suck...

Thanks!

Personally, I have a hard time with online courses. There is so much bad info out there and at the end of the day, it's about the basics when starting out. I have found used, John Hedgecoe books, from Amazon very helpful in order to understand the basics. Even though the books are dated, most of the info still applies. You just need to figure out how your camera translates to the info... setting aperture, shutter speed, etc. If I had a good library close to where I live, I would even venture in there for 70's or 80's guide to photography books. For some reason, those older books have simple to read instruction with simple photo's to clarify what your reading. Once you get a decent understanding, getting out to shoot is critical. I started with flowers because they didn't normally move much and I could easily practice what I was learning.

There are a lot of bad youtube videos, if not more so. I would look for youtube videos that are specific to your camera model to expedite the learning of your hardware. The camera manual is a good place to become familiar with, some manufacturers are better than others. They all seem to jump around a lot and cause me to raise a white flag. BUT, once you get the basics down, going to the camera manual is easier in my opinion.

I know you asked about online courses, but, for starting with the fundamentals, you can't do better than this book, imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...633625&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+exposure

The author has a great way of explaining things as the terminology is introduced. Spend a little time and effort with this book, and you will have a thorough, practical, working knowlege of the fundamentals as you move forward.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like Tony Northrup's Stunning Digital Photography for beginners. It is a book plus linked videos. He has a straightforward way of explaining things. You can purchase the book for about $20 and have access to all videos, facebook page and you tube channel. I think it is well worth the price. He also has a lot of specific camera tutorials on his you tube page. If he has one on your camera, it is also worthwhile (and free).

Products | Northrup.Photo

Another vote for Cambridge in Colour.

Google

I'm not even kidding. I Google pretty much every thing I need to know. Photography is such a wide subject, it's hard to find 1 source that is the best. :)

Google

I'm not even kidding. I Google pretty much every thing I need to know. Photography is such a wide subject, it's hard to find 1 source that is the best. :)
What about this did you not understand?
But there are just a plethora of courses available out there, and my head is starting to spin going through them.

I know you asked about online courses, but, for starting with the fundamentals, you can't do better than this book, imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...633625&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+exposure

The author has a great way of explaining things as the terminology is introduced. Spend a little time and effort with this book, and you will have a thorough, practical, working knowlege of the fundamentals as you move forward.

Yes! That book helped me to grasp the fundamentals. I took a few courses at Lynda.com on camera basics that were helpful.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, so I took the fantastic advice from you folks and ordered Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera.
I also signed up on the Cambridge in Colour website. These 2 should keep me quite busy.

're lucky that people actually reply to help you
Yes I am. Unfortunately you weren't one of them. You suggested Google. Really? I NEVER would have thought of that all on my own!

're lucky that people actually reply to help you
Yes I am. Unfortunately you weren't one of them. You suggested Google. Really? I NEVER would have thought of that all on my own!

Actually based on your reply I don't think you have thought about it on your own. LOL It was a serious suggestion because it actually helped me, but obviously someone got butt hurt. My sincere apology. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back