One of the best way to learn photography ?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kevin C. Photography, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Kevin C. Photography

Kevin C. Photography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey when i started learning photography i remember that i had a really hard time finding good quality formations online and I finally paid for expensive formations and classes. And recently i had a think, wouldn't be great if you could nowadays simply go on youtube and find all you need to learn photography simply and fast without breaking the bank ?
    That's why i recently created my youtube channel where I'll try every week to give small photography courses for both beginner and intermediate at the simplest way possible.
    Just posted my first video some days ago so don't hesitate to check it out and subscribe for a new free photography class every weeks.

YouTube: Kevin C. Photography
    Link: Kevin C. Photography

Ps: that's my first video so i wasn't really comfortable on the mic but i'll work on that ;)

Anyways how did you learn Photography ? what's the advantage and disadvantage ? what do you recommend ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Read everything I could from any source I could find.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad information on the internet, so how is anyone supposed to know what information is correct?

I learned by "trial and error". One advantage is that the lesson tends to stick. One disadvantage is it takes time. I recommend starting with art. The mechanics of photography is the easy part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I took a class in high school (1978)
    I took a class at my local college (2015)
    Having a teacher to give structured Assignments and answer questions was always a big help for me.

I bought, and still own Lots of photography books. Books are great because you can refer to them over and over again, and you can reread anything you do not understand.
    The Zone System is a fairly big topic, it is nice to have a few books that deal with it.
    The darkroom is a lifelong education. I have Several books that deal with different darkroom Formulas/Strategies/Techniques.

For very specific things, Youtube is great.! You can see exactly how a certain camera accepts a roll of film, or you can see how to use a mat-cutter works. Etc etc.
    Obviously, nothing is going to be more important than using the camera. That is true with any Skill/Craft. There is nothing special about photography.....you learn by doing.

5. Andy Smith

Andy Smith TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is there any specific course of photography then please let me know?

Thanks

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    As designer said, there is a lot of bad info on the web. My late mentor stressed making images as opposed to taking them. He said I was responsible for the inside of the frame, so choose carefully. He said it is more about seeing the image and then build it. Seeing the light, shadow, line, and composition is what seperates the image maker from the image taker. I don't spend any time on "how to" videos anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  7. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    images.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have the resources and time, there are pay courses, but I have no experience with any of them. Just do a search for photography classes online.

If you need to limit yourself to free information, then you can start with those.

Here are a couple just off the top of my head:

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Strobist

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    John Hedgecoe books are some of the better reads I've come across. He's clear and easy to understand without getting bogged down in overly technical explanations. If your local library doesn't have them you can pick them up for less then $20. Couple of recommendations https://www.amazon.com/Art-Digital-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1405340932 and https://www.amazon.com/Take-Great-Photographs-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1843403307 to get you started.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

I had a few courses and a mentor after I had spent a couple years using a camera on my own.

A set of courses with real instructors is often worth the price, especially when having to submit a printed image within a deadline and then have it critiqued. Like most classes these days, the student needs extra books and to get online to find all the information necessary to succeed in class.

A mentor is one of the best ways for the student to jump past many small obstacles that are specific to that student. I just remember so much from what my mentor showed me, probably because it was hands-on and I could apply the knowledge right then with real-time feedback.

The internet has also been a great asset for me to learn additional techniques. I sure wish that I had the internet back when I had my darkroom.

11. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are the same Kevin that asked on another forum I use then the same as I said on that. Read and look at Youtube plus get out and practice.

12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for your suggestion. This is a kind of website of photography tutorials and forums, I was asking for the course. If you have any free course or ebook that would be great.