Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey when i started learning photography i remember that i had a really hard time finding good quality formations online and I finally paid for expensive formations and classes. And recently i had a think, wouldn't be great if you could nowadays simply go on youtube and find all you need to learn photography simply and fast without breaking the bank ?
That's why i recently created my youtube channel where I'll try every week to give small photography courses for both beginner and intermediate at the simplest way possible.
Just posted my first video some days ago so don't hesitate to check it out and subscribe for a new free photography class every weeks.

YouTube: Kevin C. Photography
Link: Kevin C. Photography

Ps: that's my first video so i wasn't really comfortable on the mic but i'll work on that ;)

Anyways how did you learn Photography ? what's the advantage and disadvantage ? what do you recommend ?

..recently i had a think, wouldn't be great if you could nowadays simply go on youtube and find all you need to learn photography simply and fast without breaking the bank ?
Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad information on the internet, so how is anyone supposed to know what information is correct?

I learned by "trial and error". One advantage is that the lesson tends to stick. One disadvantage is it takes time. I recommend starting with art. The mechanics of photography is the easy part.

I took a class in high school (1978)
I took a class at my local college (2015)
Having a teacher to give structured Assignments and answer questions was always a big help for me.

I bought, and still own Lots of photography books. Books are great because you can refer to them over and over again, and you can reread anything you do not understand.
The Zone System is a fairly big topic, it is nice to have a few books that deal with it.
The darkroom is a lifelong education. I have Several books that deal with different darkroom Formulas/Strategies/Techniques.

For very specific things, Youtube is great.! You can see exactly how a certain camera accepts a roll of film, or you can see how to use a mat-cutter works. Etc etc.
Obviously, nothing is going to be more important than using the camera. That is true with any Skill/Craft. There is nothing special about photography.....you learn by doing.

Is there any specific course of photography then please let me know?

Thanks

As designer said, there is a lot of bad info on the web. My late mentor stressed making images as opposed to taking them. He said I was responsible for the inside of the frame, so choose carefully. He said it is more about seeing the image and then build it. Seeing the light, shadow, line, and composition is what seperates the image maker from the image taker. I don't spend any time on "how to" videos anymore.

images.png

Last edited:

Thanks

John Hedgecoe books are some of the better reads I've come across. He's clear and easy to understand without getting bogged down in overly technical explanations. If your local library doesn't have them you can pick them up for less then $20. Couple of recommendations https://www.amazon.com/Art-Digital-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1405340932 and https://www.amazon.com/Take-Great-Photographs-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1843403307 to get you started.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a few courses and a mentor after I had spent a couple years using a camera on my own.

A set of courses with real instructors is often worth the price, especially when having to submit a printed image within a deadline and then have it critiqued. Like most classes these days, the student needs extra books and to get online to find all the information necessary to succeed in class.

A mentor is one of the best ways for the student to jump past many small obstacles that are specific to that student. I just remember so much from what my mentor showed me, probably because it was hands-on and I could apply the knowledge right then with real-time feedback.

The internet has also been a great asset for me to learn additional techniques. I sure wish that I had the internet back when I had my darkroom.

If you are the same Kevin that asked on another forum I use then the same as I said on that. Read and look at Youtube plus get out and practice.

Thanks
If you have the resources and time, there are pay courses, but I have no experience with any of them. Just do a search for photography classes online.

If you need to limit yourself to free information, then you can start with those.

Here are a couple just off the top of my head:

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Strobist
Thanks for your suggestion. This is a kind of website of photography tutorials and forums, I was asking for the course. If you have any free course or ebook that would be great.

If you are the same Kevin that asked on another forum I use then the same as I said on that. Read and look at Youtube plus get out and practice.
No dave, I don't have enough time to create another account and ask the same query. Sorry! I am not that person you are looking for.
Thanks

Thanks

John Hedgecoe books are some of the better reads I've come across. He's clear and easy to understand without getting bogged down in overly technical explanations. If your local library doesn't have them you can pick them up for less then $20. Couple of recommendations https://www.amazon.com/Art-Digital-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1405340932 and https://www.amazon.com/Take-Great-Photographs-John-Hedgecoe/dp/1843403307 to get you started.
Hey! Thanks for your response but I am looking for a free course so that I can understand the photography a bit then I will invest money for more deep knowledge. overall thanks for your suggestion if you have any free course that would be great.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad information on the internet, so how is anyone supposed to know what information is correct?

If there is any 'secret' to learning photography its working out how to filter out all the bad information. There is so much out there! I'd say well over 50%

Most reactions

Back