what is best time of day (lighting-wise) for foliage pics?

CrazyModGSR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going out all day tomorrow to various locations for some foliage photography (autumn leaves). I was wondering what is the best time of the day for taking pictures? I know sun directly overhead is not good, and I noticed that slightly overcast skies, or sun behind the clouds creates pretty decent lighting, but I was wondering what is ideal, where the colors in the leaves will be brought out the most, etc.
Thanks much

Overcast days provide diffuse lighting. Sunny days provide specular lighting. Each has it's look, and it's just up to you which you prefer. I like bright red maple leaves against dark blue skies, so I like to shoot fall foliage on sunny days. Then again, wet, colorful leaves look great too, so I go out on rainy days also.

Direct sun provides the most color saturation, provided you are using a polarizing filter. A polarizing filter should also be used on an overcast day, although the actual effect through the viewfinder may appear minimal, it's quite noticable in the final images when comparing a shot taken with a pol vs without a pol filter.

The lower the sun is in the sky (early or late in the day) the warmer the light will be.

Personally I like early morning sunlight for autumn shots. The harsher lighting at a sharp angle really makes the colors pop. Here are a couple examples...

10---2003-1178_RS.jpg

10---2003-1202_RS.jpg

I like evening, at about 6 pm it is very nice for me :)

well, just got back. was out for about 7 hours, went to about 4 different locations along with stops along the way. foliage wasn't quite turned all the way yet, maybe half, so I'll have to go out next week too. will post (if I can get my scanner working again) when I get the pics

Most reactions

Back