what is everyone using for studio lighting?

MRs have been seen recently being used as props. LOL. Seriously though at Cobalt Studios a rental Studio here in town they have a couple that people have been using as props in fashion and glamour sets.

I do not miss film very much, but I do miss seeing those big 4 x 5 inch 'chromes on a light table. The last time I shot any 4 x 5 Chrome was probably 1993.

With the upgrade in ISO quality during the digital age, my everyday flash power requirements have dropped dramatically. Still I have found that it makes life easier when you have more flash power than needed, and you can work at half power or quarter power and have nearly-instantaneous flash recycle time when using ISO 100 or 200 or even 320.

These are blessed times we live in. No more Ektachrome 64 for decent quality and quick turnaround...
i don't miss waiting 40-70 mins for transparencies to make it through the kreonites. i remember Dicomed coming by the studio in '96 or so and trying to push their digital back. we had a set shot using 4x5 ektachrome 100 and compared it to what the rep could capture and there were no competition. the rep seemed a little embarrassed. from there we dabbled in d1x's for smaller format and ended up getting a few leaf 11mp backs (a mix of mamiya and sinar mounts, maybe one adapted to hasselblad too(?)) and they served us quite well for a few years. currently using a 5ds, mark iv, a couple of mark iii back up bodies and a sony a7r3. my personal system has been the Fuji xt series. currently on the 3. check out my personal website. schneider67.com. thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
MRs have been seen recently being used as props. LOL. Seriously though at Cobalt Studios a rental Studio here in town they have a couple that people have been using as props in fashion and glamour sets.
I literally did this at Cobalt Studios less than two weeks ago.

I literally did this at Cobalt Studios less than two weeks ago.

and i literally thought of this thread when i just saw your posts using it!

I have a lot of Speedotron, both Black
Line and Brown Line. I have 2 x2400, 1×800, 1 ×400 in Black. And 1 ×1600, 1x 600, 2x400 and 1x200 in Brown. The 1602 I bought new in 1986 and the 405B I bought new in 2007. I have a lot of heads, most all bought used in the 2001-2008 era. Reliable and rugged, but old technology, not that fast on flash duration, but reasonable head weights.

Following the basic collapse of the commercial print catalog industry the market was basically flooded with used Speedo gear, and even to this day there is quite a lot of it available on eBay. If you are coming from Elinchrom, Speedotron might be an okay alternative. If you need a lot of flash power come up black line is quite affordable for the pop you get.
great, thanks. are there speedrings and adapters available for most modifiers? i would love to be able to continue to use my elinchrom and broncolor parabolics.

One aspect you may want to consider is the efficiency of the Broncolor Para mated with Profoto heads. There is a bit of discussion about the Profoto flat front flash design(the flash tube is covered by a diffusion glass) not being all that great with Para modifiers. You may want to test these out before you make a big purchase in new flash gear.

I have a lot of Speedotron, both Black
Line and Brown Line. I have 2 x2400, 1×800, 1 ×400 in Black. And 1 ×1600, 1x 600, 2x400 and 1x200 in Brown. The 1602 I bought new in 1986 and the 405B I bought new in 2007. I have a lot of heads, most all bought used in the 2001-2008 era. Reliable and rugged, but old technology, not that fast on flash duration, but reasonable head weights.

Following the basic collapse of the commercial print catalog industry the market was basically flooded with used Speedo gear, and even to this day there is quite a lot of it available on eBay. If you are coming from Elinchrom, Speedotron might be an okay alternative. If you need a lot of flash power come up black line is quite affordable for the pop you get.
great, thanks. are there speedrings and adapters available for most modifiers? i would love to be able to continue to use my elinchrom and broncolor parabolics.

One aspect you may want to consider is the efficiency of the Broncolor Para mated with Profoto heads. There is a bit of discussion about the Profoto flat front flash design(the flash tube is covered by a diffusion glass) not being all that great with Para modifiers. You may want to test these out before you make a big purchase in new flash gear.
thanks! i am pretty sure i am not going profoto. priced a bit too high for me to get more than a pack and a head.

I am not a photographer, this is just a hobby for me.
My studio lighting was OLD and varied.
I bought what i guess you might call the B&H house brand.? ...... Impact.
The stuff seems to be well made, they offer a lot of different mods and lights....and they use the Bowens System. THAT was a big reason i went with Impact. :)
good luck

Most reactions

Back