What is focal point?

nikonusersince2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to take portraits with a person's eyes being sharp and clear. I have heard focal point for portraits is the eyes.
My question: When looking through the viewfinder is the focal point the square box in the middle of the frame? Do I want my subject's eyes to be within that square box and then press the shutter halfway down to focus and then recompose my image to desired frame (example rule of thirds) and then press shutter the rest of the way down?
Thanks for the help!

It depends on the focus point. If you hold down the shutter and the middle square blinks red, then that is where the camera is focusing. So you could put the person's eye in that little box, hold the shutter button halfway down until you hear a beep, then you keep your finger halfway down on the shutter and recompose the shot to put the person where you want them. in the frame.

This method is used by many (including myself) but you do need to remember that the focal plane does shift when rotating the camera. So if you're using a very shallow depth of field your subject's eyes will quickly become out of focus.

Hasselblad have just come up with a new system that measures the angle as you rotate the camera and compensates for the difference in focal plane!

The focal point of an image is the part which is of most interest. In portraits, the focal point is the face. Focus point(s) is/are the points that the camera uses to focus on the subject. Generally, when shooting a portrait, I recommend setting your camera to use a single focus point and place that on the dominant eye (compositionally dominant, NOT ocularily dominant) ensuring that one has sufficient DoF to keep the whole face in sharp focus.

What does this mean:"compositionally dominant, NOT ocularily dominant"
What does this mean: "sufficient DoF"

Thank you!

The focal point of an image is the part which is of most interest. In portraits, the focal point is the face. Focus point(s) is/are the points that the camera uses to focus on the subject. Generally, when shooting a portrait, I recommend setting your camera to use a single focus point and place that on the dominant eye (compositionally dominant, NOT ocularily dominant) ensuring that one has sufficient DoF to keep the whole face in sharp focus.

What is "focal plane"? And how do I compensate for it when I rotate the camera?
Is "shallow depth of field" when you use an open aperature like 2.4?

Thanks!

This method is used by many (including myself) but you do need to remember that the focal plane does shift when rotating the camera. So if you're using a very shallow depth of field your subject's eyes will quickly become out of focus.

Hasselblad have just come up with a new system that measures the angle as you rotate the camera and compensates for the difference in focal plane!

I have to ask - What have you been doing, using a Nikon, since 2007?

The plane of focus is always about parallel to the image sensor, and stays about parallel to the image sensor when the camera is moved up, down, or side to side.

DoF9x6.png

Last edited:
I have no idea what you mean by this: "The plane of focus is alwyas roughly parallel to the image sensor, and stays roughly parallel to the image sensor when the camera is moved up, down, or side to side.
I have to ask - What have you been doing, using a Nikon, since 2007?

The plane of focus is always about parallel to the image sensor, and stays about parallel to the image sensor when the camera is moved up, down, or side to side.

DoF9x6.png

I smell a troll.

What does this mean:"compositionally dominant, NOT ocularily dominant"
What does this mean: "sufficient DoF"
The eye that is dominant in the composition of the photograph, usually the one closest to the camera. Ocularily dominant refers to a persons naturally dominant eye.

"Sufficient DoF" = sufficient depth of field, or having enough of the image in focus as a result of selecting an appropriate aperture.

You have to change the setting from fully automative autofocus to one focus point (the little red dot). Check manual to do this. Most people use the middle one, point at the eyes and recompose. Or you can choose the one closest to the eyes so you don't have to move the camera as much. I prefer the second method, and although some people say the first method is more accurate, moving the camera just doesn't work for me.

"single focus point" is this a setting on my camera? I have heard of dynamic focus point-is this the same or different?
Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back