What is going on with my camera?

Ygrazi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I finally got my D200 a few weeks ago. After playing around with it getting comfortable, I took it to my daughter's workshop in school only to find out my lens wasn't focusing. Ok, a little bit of bad luck, but it happens. I go home switch my lens from the 18-55mm (Nikon) to my 55-200mm lens (also Nikon) take some more pictures at my other daughter's play, come home- the pictures aren't sharp. Ok I'm thinking I still have some learning to do (even though the pics I managed to get the day before were crisp.) I just went now to take a snapshot of my kids, and my lens is making funny noises, and won't focus!!!!! I tried it back in my D50 also- same thing. Both cameras had full battery life, and they were in separate camera bags, and didn't drop....
I only have my 50mm Prime, and I'm so scared to use it, I don't want that one breaking!

What is going on?!?!?!?!! This may seem weird, but could my D200 be breaking the lens somehow???
HELP! I NEED my camera!!!!

You need to panic less and learn your camera.

On the body of the camera where the lens meets the body on the OPPOSITE side of where the shutter button is on the front of the camera.... there is a lever with a C, S, M marked on it, This controls the focus motor/modes of your camera.

Continual, Single, Manual. You flipped the switch to MANUAL and turned off the auto focus. Flip it to S and all is good.

This is something that belongs in the beginner section... as it is a beginner mistake.

Interesting he can tell that without pics, and how is the setting also the same on the D50?
However, be sure to check the settings, then try another lens if you can.

I own a D200. Been there, done that... as have many other newbie D200 owners. ;)

Well then what about the D50?

Give the man a chance to flip the switch and see for himself. If it is the lens or camera... don't use it, get it repaired. Not rocket science.

Cheaper lenses use a "screw" to focus. It could be that this is damaged on his D200. Then again it could be nothing more than a lens improperly seated on the body. Try the obvious first, take it from there.

You need to panic less and learn your camera.

On the body of the camera where the lens meets the body on the OPPOSITE side of where the shutter button is on the front of the camera.... there is a lever with a C, S, M marked on it, This controls the focus motor/modes of your camera.

Continual, Single, Manual. You flipped the switch to MANUAL and turned off the auto focus. Flip it to S and all is good.

This is something that belongs in the beginner section... as it is a beginner mistake.

What do you think I'm an idiot?? Of course that's the first thing I checked about 10,000 times over. Both the lens and the camera are set to AF modes. and My 50mm Prime works fine- on both cameras.

See... try another lens on D50, then try lens with built in motor on D200, then try screw lens with both following procedure, post results, and we can help from there.

Did you purchase the camera new or used? From a private source or a store?

I only have my 50mm lens left. No screw on lens...
The d200 was from ebay- the lens were new from a store about 3 years ago.

See nothing. Basics of ANY trouble shooting is confirm the obvious, move up the ladder until a reason and then resolution is found.

When I trouble shoot from a distance a computer that doesn't work, I ask them first if they know the difference between a computer and monitor and then if the computer and monitor are both plugged in and and both turned on.

Reason for that is becuase 90% of the time, it *is* the obvious that is overlooked.

I only have my 50mm lens left. What's a lens w\ a built in motor?

Any Sigma with a HSM designation.

What brand / model is your 50mm?

You also still did not answer the question I had about the camera purchase source.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back