What is pixel density with low res lenses?

You worry about numbers to much

You should start designing and producing your own line of cameras and lenses and show Nikon, Canon and all how it's done.

I would like to make an amendment to my OP. The low-pass filter that is in all the older cameras is the reason why these lenses score so low. So it wasn't really the lenses, it was the low-pass filter gimping those expensive lenses.

examples of the sharpest len in dxo's database with two different bodies:

http://i.imgur.com/CYCmbh2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DXO isn't really the be-all end-all of tests.

Remember also that these numbers are established in one specific way. The way the image actually comes out and looks can be a fair bit more on the qualitative side.

Or, you could just go back to a 9 Megapixel camera. Or maybe a 3 Megapixel camera. See how those same lenses perform on those bodies. :lol:

You worry about numbers to much

Well numbers matter depending on what you are doing with your photos. I could be wrong, but the ones that come to my mind are: large print photos, birdsters & sportsters who crop.

DXO isn't really the be-all end-all of tests.

Remember also that these numbers are established in one specific way. The way the image actually comes out and looks can be a fair bit more on the qualitative side.

Or, you could just go back to a 9 Megapixel camera. Or maybe a 3 Megapixel camera. See how those same lenses perform on those bodies. :lol:

Maybe its time to upgrade to a d2x.

Do you take photos or just ask questions?

I'm a semi-self aware commodore 64 somewhere deep underground in the russian tundra.

I'm a semi-self aware commodore 64 somewhere deep underground in the russian tundra.

Post pics and get C&C. I doubt you are using your D3200 and lenses to anywhere near their potential.
If all you want to be is a gear head, that's cool. Your time and money.
But to be honest, even your gear head aspirations need some work.

I appreciate your feedback, but the technical side of photography also has a place in tpf where people can exchange ideas and talk about doubts they have about things. But i think it is best we don't go into talking about who can do what, so let's keep the discussion about lenses.

I would like to make an amendment to my OP. The low-pass filter that is in all the older cameras is the reason why these lenses score so low. So it wasn't really the lenses, it was the low-pass filter gimping those expensive lenses.

examples of the sharpest len in dxo's database with two different bodies:

The D800 is not an ideal candidate for comparison. In fact, it scored lower then D610 in many lens pairing and D610 also has an OLPF(with reference to sensor mpx). As far as I can recall, full lens resolution cannot be achieved given the current state of technology.

Numbers are important ... Both in digital and analog. If not, just use a shoot and dispose camera!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd rather take pictures.
Just caught Neptune and Uranus up in the night sky. And I was just using a 70-300vrii @ 300 ... had to crop like crazy, but they're there. So pretty good resolution for that lens on a d600 @ 6400 ISO, 1.3 secs f/5.6

I appreciate your feedback, but the technical side of photography also has a place in tpf where people can exchange ideas and talk about doubts they have about things. But i think it is best we don't go into talking about who can do what, so let's keep the discussion about lenses.

Sell your 11-16. Sell your 50mm Nikon f1.4 if you really want the Sigma 50mm f1.4, and get the Sigma. Buy the Nikon D810. Decide whether you then want a 24-70 f2.8, or an ultrawide lens, and prioritize. You already have a 70-200 f2.8. Bam. No more discussion needed, you'll be set to live long and prosper.

Then, go out and take photographs. When you stop to think about technical specs, put your 50mm f1.4 Sigma on your D810, and remember the DXO rating. Then, get back to actually taking photographs.

I talk about gear about as much as I take photographs. I should be shooting more. As soon as you start talking about gear *more* than you take photographs, it becomes a gear hobby. You'll end up having spent the better life of your camera & lenses talking about them, and then new stuff that scores higher will be out. Rinse that process and repeat it, and you'll be broke & picture-less into your old age; but hey, you'll have some nice pieces of kit to serve as mantle-piece artwork.

Most reactions

Back