What is the best compact camera?

Gaelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have a Canon 60D and a couple of lenses which I barely ever use any more. I've decided that I don't need such expensive and bulky equipment as I have lost interest in big time photography (I will sell everything). I'm looking for something compact and efficient at the same time. Basically, I'm looking for a compact camera that takes really good quality pictures, is fast and has a good zoom.
I am considering the Canon eos-M, the Canon G1X and the Canon powershot S100 ... So many options! What would you recommend? Thanks!

Really good quality photos get made by the photographer, not the camera. In so far that it's the photographer's artistic/technical knowledge/skill that is important.

A compact digital camera usually has a smaller image sensor, which makes it much harder to produce a shallow depth-of-field for the selective focus, blurred background that is often what makes a "really good quality" photo.

Compact camera zoom lenses usually have technical limitations that also make it harder to produce 'really good quality' photos.

Why else would professional photographers use $8000 pro camera bodies with $2500 lenses mounted on the camera?

The Powershot S100 has some good reviews.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back