What is the best Nikon Lens for portaits.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
UR is NOT a word! How do you expect to be taken seriously by anyone that cares about proper communication or education, if you can't take the time to communicate properly, instead of communicating like a 12 year girl texting on a cell phone?

@cgipson1... How can you expect to be taken seriously when you list that you own a 28-300 3.5 in your sig? Nikon doesn't make a 28-300 3.5 lens! They only make a 28-300mm 3.5-5.6. If you cant take the time to list your equipment fully (or want people to believe you have the worlds only fixed aperture super zoom) maybe you shouldn't tear down people when they are at least taking the time to thank somebody for their advice.

PS. Im just messing with you :) (but lighten up!)

Interesting.. I would have sworn I put that -5.6 in there... but it is gone! Although anyone knowledgeable about lenses knows the lens and the apertures.

However... UR is not a TYPO, it is a stupid commonly used abbreviation used by people that don't seem to care about spelling and good communication! Some people actually use it because they think it is cute... some because they don't know any better! (very popular with the MWAC crowd!)

Sort of a pet peeve!

UR is NOT a word! How do you expect to be taken seriously by anyone that cares about proper communication or education, if you can't take the time to communicate properly, instead of communicating like a 12 year girl texting on a cell phone?

All's I have to say is: Simmuh Down Nah! :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
While >200mm focal lengths are nice and all... unless you have a lot of indoor studio space to back up to get them in your shot, I'd say stick to the 50 or 85mm. When you're outdoors, go for it... get those 200,300... etc. especially on a DX or crop sensor.

@cgipson1... How can you expect to be taken seriously when you list that you own a 28-300 3.5 in your sig? Nikon doesn't make a 28-300 3.5 lens! They only make a 28-300mm 3.5-5.6. If you cant take the time to list your equipment fully (or want people to believe you have the worlds only fixed aperture super zoom) maybe you shouldn't tear down people when they are at least taking the time to thank somebody for their advice.

Interesting.. I would have sworn I put that -5.6 in there... but it is gone! Although anyone knowledgeable about lenses knows the lens and the apertures.

However... UR is not a TYPO, it is a stupid commonly used abbreviation used by people that don't seem to care about spelling and good communication! Some people actually use it because they think it is cute... some because they don't know any better! (very popular with the MWAC crowd!)

Sort of a pet peeve!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but linguistic change usually starts out with "incorrect" language. Then in a few months / years / decades / centuries it becomes common usage.

Cool is a good example of this. My parents used to yell at me when I was younger "that's not proper english!" Now even THEY use it in their language.

Furthermore if we are going to decide to freeze language at a particular point in time, what makes your version of english superior to, say, shakespeares?

Just check out what I mean Eight Words Which Have Completely Changed Their Meaning Over Time | Writinghood

Now let's get back on topic :D

The fact of the matter is, a selection of both prime and zoom lenses is the best choice for doing portraits.

Sort of a pet peeve!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but linguistic change usually starts out with "incorrect" language. Then in a few months / years / decades / centuries it becomes common usage.

Cool is a good example of this. My parents used to yell at me when I was younger "that's not proper english!" Now even THEY use it in their language.

Furthermore if we are going to decide to freeze language at a particular point in time, what makes your version of english superior to, say, shakespeares?

Just check out what I mean Eight Words Which Have Completely Changed Their Meaning Over Time | Writinghood

True.. but slang seldom if ever replaces an existing correctly spelled word. UR is a shorthand conjunction for YOU ARE, Correct? Do you ever anticipate this country becoming so illiterate as to accept U for YOU, and R for ARE? I sincerely hope not. You are merely obfuscating the issue with the supposed point you are attempting to make.

Using your logic, maybe they will start spelling Monkey as munki and Laugh as laf! (for all of the More Ons out there?)

Last edited:
If you ask that question to 10 photographers you are probably going to get 10 different answers.
85mm f/1.4
50mm f/1.4
35mm f/1.8
28mm f/1.8
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8
The various Tilt Shift lenses...

Personally? I use my 70-200 f/2.8 for most portraits.

+1 even though I have others my 70-200 VRII is THE lens for portraits =)

Sort of a pet peeve!

True.. but slang seldom if ever replaces an existing correctly spelled word. UR is a shorthand conjuntion for YOU ARE, Correct? Do you ever anticipate this country becoming so illiterate as to accept U for YOU, and R for ARE? I sincerely hope not. You are merely obfuscating the issue with the supposed point you are attempting to make.

Using your logic, maybe they will start spelling Monkey as munki and Laugh as laf! (for all of the More Ons out there?)

Yes spelling changes albeit more slowly

Otherwise why dont brits spell things the same as americans?

Shakespeare also spelt words different... Are we illiterate as we dont spell like shakespeare?

Ever see a sign that says something like Ye Olde Shoppe? Did our ancestors just not know how to spell?

A quick google will produce all kinds of backup regarding linguistic changes....

Or I could point to some great novels, was mark twain illiterate as he tended to
write the way people speak?

i could go on (sorry grammar nazis are a pet peeve of mine)

But either way were off post :). maybe we just agree to
disagree, and u leave me spellin alone :p

True.. but slang seldom if ever replaces an existing correctly spelled word. UR is a shorthand conjuntion for YOU ARE, Correct? Do you ever anticipate this country becoming so illiterate as to accept U for YOU, and R for ARE? I sincerely hope not. You are merely obfuscating the issue with the supposed point you are attempting to make.

Yes spelling changes albeit more slowly

Otherwise why dont brits spell things the same as americans?

Shakespeare also spelt words different... Are we illiterate as we dont spell like shakespeare?

Ever see a sign that says something like Ye Olde Shoppe? Did our ancestors just not know how to spell?

A quick google will produce all kinds of backup regarding linguistic changes....

Or I could point to some great novels, was mark twain illiterate as he tended to
write the way people speak?

i could go on (sorry grammar nazis are a pet peeve of mine)

But either way were off post :). maybe we just agree to
disagree, and u leave me spellin alone :p

Olde english is not modern "American English".. so that hardly counts! I hate the term NAZI and everything it stood for.. so I don't care for your reference! ;) I don't like Illiteracy NAZI's either! so yea.. ignore me.... I'll ignore you!

cgipson1 said:

TextSpeak Oo

Olde english is not modern "American English".. so that hardly counts! I hate the term NAZI and everything it stood for.. so I don't care for your reference! ;) I don't like Illiteracy NAZI's either! so yea.. ignore me.... I'll ignore you!

Funny, I thought it was called "American English" because it was a dialect of a language originally coming from a country called England, several thousand miles away, with a millenium or so of more history.

But you're probably right... The college courses I took in Linguistics probably weren't correct nor is any of the reading I've ever done on the subject. I'm also probably talking to you from one of your smaller states, and the people who literally wrote the book on the English language would probably never condone adding texting slang to the closest thing the English language has to an official dictionary

OMG! LOL: Internet Slang Added to Oxford English Dictionary | PCWorld

You can all continue your off topic discussion in the Off Topic forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back