What is the 'proper' thing to expect?

I try to leave tactful and discrete comments suggesting improvement if I think it's worthwhile. If they don't like it, then I'll let them hold their own opinion. It's not worth my time to argue about something that really only matters to someone else.

If someone comments on something I post, I take it in stride. I'm always looking for ways to improve, and it's not likely someone will say something more critical or harsher than what I've already said to myself.

I've occasionally run into someone who leaves a negative comment (not necessarily negative in character, just not "I like it!") about some of my stuff, especially experimental work in pinholes and paper negs. Usually along the lines of too much contrast, or not very sharp, or something else which is generally a property of the medium (for the experimental stuff, anyway; in straight photography, I just generally suck, and I know that, so I take it and move on). If I think it's necessary, I'll politely let them know that it's supposed to be that way, or that's what I'm trying to go for. If they try to start a flamewar, I ignore them.

It's all about tact and a bit of open-mindedness.

Out of the many times I have commented on pictures, virtually all of the positive comments have been mentioned by the OP in some way.

OTOH, if I make a comment that describes what I see as a failing in the picture, often the OP will not respond at all.

This happens most often when there is a landslide of 'attaboy' responses and I post the sole negative one.

On the odd occasion the OP will respond with a burst of anger as if I had violated some sort of gentleman's agreement not to mention the awful color or terrible composition.

What do you expect when you comment and what do you do when you post and get comments?

You do well.

Sometimes the 'creaminess' of comments I read on some posts in general frustrates me when I see what I feel are obvious problems. Right or wrong at least you got some balls and seriously try to help.

Thanks.

The only reason I will leave anything other than an "attaboy" is because I really see a way to inprove a shot. If I'm going to take the time to comment, I want my message to be heard - as an employer, I have learned that I get more out of people if I give them positive reinforcement first. As such (When critiquing an image) I will couch a negative comment between something positive. I wouldn't waste my time commenting on a hopelessly noobish image.

The hardest (in terms of self-restraint) is when a terrible image is described by the photographer as "breath-taking" - but the composition, the technique, and (worst of all) the subject are just no good...

The hardest (in terms of self-restraint) is when a terrible image is described by the photographer as "breath-taking" - but the composition, the technique, and (worst of all) the subject are just no good...

When I read that 'this is a stunning image.', I take that to mean that the image is such a piece of crap that the viewer was stunned that photographer actually is showing it.

Hey Traveler, you scoundrel! You are the biggest SOB I know of!!!!!

LoL. Just kidding. We have locked heads a time or two, and on those occassions, it was me and my bruised ego. I just didn't want to hear anything negative. Look at American Idol. There are a lot of kids on there that love singing, and they just want to sing. They think they sing the bestest of all. They idenify all that is right in the world by friends who tell them they sing well. They are a Singer by God, and don't tell them anything different.
But.......those words will sink through. Believe me, your words, while maybe angering at times, will keep them up at night wondering.

I have a plaque over my desk now. It says "Don't bite when a growl will do". It's become my new mantra. Actually, I try to not even growl so much anymore.

It's no good to just go nutso on a photo you don't like. If they obviously think it's the best shot ever, and you see room for improvement. Move on. They obviously don't want your opinion. If they ask for CC, give them CC, but remember that it should be constructive. Tell them how to make something better maybe, or how they could do it better next time.

I've been as guilty as anyone else about being negative on a photo. But try to take yourself back to your "photo womb" and remember where you were then.

I think some of the posters here really want help sometimes. Just be careful about how you say it. You might just be crushing what has become a person's very identity. I know you and you are a sweet person. You have a lot of knowledge to share. Just always take yourself back to your own beginnings.........

Love ya dude!

And that is my latest Hindu rendering. :)

But try to take yourself back to your "photo womb" and remember where you were then.

I evolved from the photographic primordial ooze... (which, by the way, was made up entirely of D-76 in case anybody was wondering).

i think this has been answered well, but here's my perspective...
as a noob, i totally understand someone being hurt by criticism. however, if they are posting a picture and truly want the criticism and help of the pros, they will understand that they should take that advice! just yesterday, i took pictures from my first four times out with my camera to a photography teacher and got a serious beating ;). did i get my feelings hurt, well yeah a little. but i got over it and was able to gain so much knowledge that will help me get better! anyway, i know for myself that i have a ton of work to do and if someone sees something that will help, by all means TELL ME! i appreciate the time anyone is willing to give me to help me improve. so THANKS!

side note - wow sabbath, you truly have hit that one on the head. working with my husband in youth ministry at a church has really opened my eyes to this fact. everyone thinks they deserve an award or something. man, are we a selfish society or what?

I don't think we are a bad society at all. I think we are a society of driven people.
I'm a tree hugging liberal to be sure, but I think we all can benefit by tender loving care.
We all have a tendancy to put our noses up. "Hey, I know soooo much more than you!" I sit here and answer questions many might look at and say, "what a nooooobeee!", "How funny was that?" Bit if we look back, all us "pros", we had the same exact "silly" questions once upon a time.
Not everyone deserves a photo award. But an awful lot of people work thier butts off trying to please all us other "experts". And as far as I'm concerned, they only need a hand up.
Case in point:
I can be the biachiest, grumpiest, most ungrateful photog on the planet.
"Poor me, I work too much!" "Poor me, I never have a second to myself".
And then I meet these folks at venues with these little cameras and no equipment who would shave off their right arm to do what I do. It's their DREAM JOB, and I have it. That really wakes me up, brings me to my knees, and makes me thank my God for all my blessings in life.
A huge part of my blessings were having people who were willing to help me. I try to give that back as often as I can, but I have no patience with people not willing to do the same.
We are on this planet, IMO, to help others. If not, you are just taking the rest of our oxygen. LOL.
But hey, I'm one girl with one opinion among thousands. This is mine.
Peace to all, and I hope we can all learn to help one another.

An old parable I just made up.

Man goes into a doctor's office in January a little nervous.
Doctor looks at the record and says,"Well, you look pretty good. Your skin is bright and clear, Your hair looks full and a nice color and you have wonderful taste in clothes." The man goes out the door feeling that everything is OK.

In June, the man goes for a follow-up appointment, this time a little depressed. "I've been a little down lately." Doctor looks at the record and says,"Well, you look very nice. I love that tie. I used to have a tie like that." The man goes out the door pretty cheerful, feeling that everything must be OK.

In September, the man goes in this time to get an examination for a life insurance policy. Doctor looks at the record and says,"Your liver test are bad and your kidneys are failing. Plus, your prostate cancer has progressed a lot in the last few months and you need surgery right away."

The man is stunned. "Liver, kidneys, prostate - this can't all be new. Why didn't you tell me this before that so much was wrong?"

"Well" said the doctor, "the first time you were new here and nervous and I didn't want to upset you. The second visit you were depressed and I didn't want to make you feel worse."

"But you lied to me." said the man.

"Yah, but until you found out didn't you think that I was a great doctor."

The moral of this tortuous story is that shading the truth to make reality more palatable just hurts the person in the end.

When the occasional child (I actually mean photographer) reacts badly to what I say that stirs two opposing emotions on me. First, I resolve to be more careful before I say something negative and then I think, 'Well, screw that. I'm not their mommy. I'll say what I think, or close to it.'

For me, it is an issue of respect. I will respect them as adults and will be honest but civil and not treat them like children who need something sweet to take their medicine with.

Personally, I think it's a little immature to expect anything. It's a Forum, not a Photo Contest. Provide you're feedback and live with how they take it.
I think honest feedback is important and should always be given. Photography is very subjective, so sometimes there really is no right or wrong. Even when it looks horrible to you.

Also, there is a way to provide feedback, and I've certainly seen both good and bad on this forum the short time that i've been here.

Out of the many times I have commented on pictures, virtually all of the positive comments have been mentioned by the OP in some way.

OTOH, if I make a comment that describes what I see as a failing in the picture, often the OP will not respond at all.

This happens most often when there is a landslide of 'attaboy' responses and I post the sole negative one.

On the odd occasion the OP will respond with a burst of anger as if I had violated some sort of gentleman's agreement not to mention the awful color or terrible composition.

What do you expect when you comment and what do you do when you post and get comments?

You really do take a long time to learn, don't you? ;)

"You are a good photographer who knows what he is talking about and your comments are insightfull and helpfull."

"You are an average amateur with no real skill and your comments are just your personal opinion so mean nothing."

Which one of those statements would you prefer me to use to describe you?
Now think about why that is - and when you find the answer that is the answer to your question. :mrgreen:

I expect nothing. If he/she agrees then good they may have learnt something or gotten upset about me mentioning a flaw that haunts them.

If they don't agree then so be it. If they come back and say my opinions are flawed and who am I to critique them anyway, by all means. It won't change my opinion that their photo looks like it was taken by a retarded monkey.

As for what I expect out of C&C myself, I look for the flaws. That's how I get better. I often gloss over or ignore the praise, with the exception of the praise I got for the lunar eclipse photo since I've never had such a massive positive response with no single negatives to a photo. That really did warm my heart :)

agreed. I like a compliment just as much as the next guy, but I would rather have someone telling me what's wrong with my pic (or what they dislike), than hear nothing at all.

I agree. One of the reasons I haven't really posed anything for critique is because mostly I know what's wrong and don't want it rubbed in my face. It's also a lack of confidence. I'm not that good and I know it.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back