• Nikon

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Sony

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Pentax

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
Hmm yes Nikon is so simple
Nikons product line maintains its nomenclature across ALL regions. The poster aboves confusion comes from the fact that the XT/XTi, XSi are ACTUALLY the 300D, 350D, etc. etc. I also believe the classification of products is maintained on the prosumner line, but why there are two names for these entry level cameras in US territories is beyond me.

I wonder how long it's going to take Nikon and Canon to stop putting "D" in the names of digital cameras.

Why would they? Maintaining consistency allows them to have a streamlined product line that is easily traceable.

I prefer Kodak Disk cameras.

KodakDisc4000B.jpg

What a joke of a camera. The only time I was glad I had it was when my girlfriend was able to stuff it down her pants and get it into a Poison concert we went to. It's a shame that it wasn't a real camera because for all the work getting it in and the risk I took snapping pics, without a zoom and with a crappy little flash, the whole disk of pictures was utterly worthless.. Another moped.

Last edited:
Nikons product line maintains its nomenclature across ALL regions. The poster aboves confusion comes from the fact that the XT/XTi, XSi are ACTUALLY the 300D, 350D, etc. etc. I also believe the classification of products is maintained on the prosumner line, but why there are two names for these entry level cameras in US territories is beyond me.

Why would they? Maintaining consistency allows them to have a streamlined product line that is easily traceable.

The idea is that calling something a memorable name makes it more appealing to consumers I guess-- and they have a point on that front in that the Rebels stand out from the alphanumeric morass that is modern digital photography. The use of the term Rebel dates back to the early '90s when Canon brought out the first "consumer" grade AF SLR under that name in the US.

It's dumb, but nowhere near as dumb as both companies weird numbering issues: Canon came out with the D30 and D60 before suddenly reversing course and starting with the 10D. Despite all this silliness, for their pro lines the numbers themselves are what represent the products, so they don't even get new product numbers, just iteration indicators (which is NOT what they did for film cameras, instead adding new letters after the 1, which is even more confusing). Not to mention that the 1D vs. 1Ds bit is even more baffling.

Nikon brought out the D50 and D70, before coming out with the D40 and D60, yet neither is really a successor to the D50. At the same time, what are they going to call the successor to the D90? They already had a D100, and it will break their two digit naming scheme. On the pro end, they broke their tradition of having an 'h' and 'x' body, though that's not as big of a deal.

Maybe we'd be better off if every camera just had a neat name like they do with cars.

"oh check out my sweet new Canon Viper!"
"oh yeah, well my Nikon Vanquish is way cooler"

Nikon digital. I have wanted to get Nikon since the 70s, but wouldn't cough up the cash. I was intent to stay with Canon until I held the Nikon. It felt beefier in my hands.... something I'm accustomed to. :biggrin: Plus, it let me into the world of Nikkor glass.

Pentax and Canon film. Still have the Canon.... somewhere. I keep meaning to find it and shoot a roll of B&W. Well, maybe someday.

They're all good anyway, just depends on what you fancy. I drive a Honda now and happy as a pig in mud. But when I drove Fords, Subarus, GMCs, Mazda and Nissan... I was happy with them...... well, okay.... I like the Ford truck and the Subies.

You're all silly for arguing this stuff.

The single greatest benefit of the Pentax system is being able to duck out of all of the Canon/Nikon bickering. Everyone thinks our equipment sucks since celebrities who will never be as good as they were ten years ago never appear on television to extol its greatness, so there's no use in arguing. I can just snicker from the sidelines.

Also, I bet I know who the other Pentaxian is.

When I was wanting to get into photography and DSLRs, I really only had Nikon available for me to try. Well, not ONLY, but I wasn't aware of the fact that Pentax, Sony, Olympus, and others also made DSLRs. I mean, duh, I could've guessed, but Nikon and Canon are WAY MORE advertised and out there.

It has nothing to do with the lame ass celebrities either company gets to put their face on their product.

I know one Pentax shooter and she swears by it. And had I known about Pentax DSLRs when I was looking, I might have researched them more.
She loves that the image stabilizer is IN the camera body vs. in the lenses.

Oh yea, I forgot I have a Cano AE-1 film camera also that I never use. Not sure when the last time was I shot a picture with it. Probably at least 10 years.

I gave a vote of confidence for Pentax anyway.

:wink:

I think we're more or less on the same team anyway. If they're Canikon, we're Pentopus.

(We even get a better portmanteau).

ha this thread is great!

well my first p&s was a nikon coolpix L3. i hated it after about the first week i got it.
my first SLR was a film canon rebel t2. i loved it besides the fact it was film, so when i got my first dSLR, i went canon again, getting a Rebel XSi.
i love it. simply put.

I prefer Nikon. But i shoot canon. wtf? nah I do prefer Nikon but I bought a lot of stuff for my canon before really trying the nikon stuff. I am just going to stick with Canon stuff though because I know how it all works now and I just dont feel like buying a bunch of different stuff.

Most reactions

Back