What is your favorite basic filter?

cailinp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a basic filter for my D5000. Nothing to fancy, just talking the basics here. I do a lot of outdoor shooting. I only have the 18-55 mm lense now but plan on purchasing the 50mm 1.8 and the 55-200mm soon. I am curious to see what you all reccommend for filters. Thanks.

Circular polarizer. It's really the only type of filter that I use much anymore.

If you shoot a lot outside I would have to say a nice good quality polorizer!

Well I have been advised on here lol that a Circular Polarizing Filter (CPF) is a must and for my landscapes a Graduated neutral density (GND). Some people say they keep a good quality UV filter on all the time to protect their lens. Some say thats what the hood is for. Never really asked on that subject though. Problem is most lenses diameters are different and either you are required to get a step-up-down adapter for the lens which may/maynot lead to vignetting.

Are you talking for general everyday use or landscapes etc. My first purchase will be the CPF and then waiting for the GND since each are 100 bucks.

I am talking about general use. I want to start from the basics and climb up. Right now I am pretty much committing a sin and not even using a filter...=).

I have been told to get a UV filter first, some of them are at a real good price. Anyone care to explain to me what a cpf is exactly and why I would need that vs. a UV filter?

I would personally get the CP first, it would be more useful (for my uses anyway). You probably have already been advised to get a multi-caoted one. Something good so you don't degrade your image IQ. B+W or Nikon make good multi-coated ones. Hoya is another decent brand, but for some reason, the coating they use seems to be more difficult to clean than the B+W.

I don't think UV filters are neccessary. Even if you get a really good one, the lens hood should be on all the time anyway. Some like clear protection filters some don't. Some say they have saved their lens, while others have had one crack and save the front element, but when screwing it off the glass shards scratched the front element anyway.

I personally stay away from the protection filters, as I don't want to introduce the possiblity of lens flare, etc.

I am talking about general use. I want to start from the basics and climb up. Right now I am pretty much committing a sin and not even using a filter...=).

I have been told to get a UV filter first, some of them are at a real good price. Anyone care to explain to me what a cpf is exactly and why I would need that vs. a UV filter?

You sinner! HA HA. Check out this site: Choosing a Camera Lens Filter

If you get a cheap UV filter, I think you will eventually regret it. The cheapo ones can degrade IQ, as well as introduce ghosting and flare. I personally use the hood all time time, and that's my protection. The UV does not really benefit on digital, the sensor has a UV filter built in.

UV or clear filters are used by some shooters to 'protect' the front of their lens. A lens hood is also 'protects' but also increases contrast and minimizes flare. UV filters increase the chance of flare by adding an additional air gap in the lens.

Unless you are at or above 10,000 feet a UV filter will not improve the image quality of your lens. A poorly made (cheap) or average UV filter can reduce the image quality of your lens.

Leaving a UV filter on your lens for 'protection' all the time, is like always wearing a crash helmet and fireproof clothing when you drive your car.

A cheap CPL filter will degrade you image quality too, and a CPL filter is not on the lens for protection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(Photography)

The CPL filter will help saturate colors (particularlythe blues and greens) in the image. How much it saturates colors deepens where the Sun is in relation to the lens axis and the horizon.

The front of a CPL filter can be rotated to adjust the amount of the effect it has, though with the Sun in a poor location the effect is minimal no matter how much you rotate the front element.

A CPL filter can also be quite effective at reducing specular highlights and reflections if the light souces(s) are at favorable angles to the lens axis.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back