What is your opinion on Sigma lenses for amateur

Holland said:
So what would be an acceptable budget? Should I consider a used lens to keep the price down?

I'm not a Pro, just a guy who likes to take shots of his kids on the weekends.
Might as well ask about the meaning of life. ;)

You have to decide it for yourself.
How much money do you have?
How big are you going to print?
Do you need fast focus? Quiet operation?
Do you have equipment fetish?
Do you need super smooth background? Do you shoot in low light?

Always start with the purpose. Why do you need 200 or 300 mm lens? What are you gonna shoot? Under what conditions?

I currently own two manual lenses. A 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor and a 35-105 Nikkor. I mainly use these on an FE2, but I also own a N70. I can use the lenses on the N70, but of course I don't have the full functions of the camera. The biggest problem with the manual lens on a N70 is trying to set the aperture ring. There is no indicator of aperture inside the view finder.

I mainly take pictures of my kids. They are todlers, so they are on the move. I suspect I will have to use a flash most of the time to stop the action. I do prefer available light over a flash. I own a decent external flash with zoom, bounce, and swivel features.

As far as what I'm wanting, I would like an AF lens to complete the N70 set up. I was thinking of a 200mm zoom since I already have a 35-105 although it doesn't have to be. I would consider another zoom in the 105 to 135 range if it would be considerably faster.

I love the low-light capability of my 50mm, but it's just not practical for portrait shots. Mainly because I have to be a few feet away from the subject to fill the frame.

I don't think Nikon G lenses are compatiable with the N70. I've been on the Wolf camera site and there is a Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 D for $280. Perhaps it would be a good choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back