What kind of direction do you give your clients?

bluettu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just curious to see some of the responses on here as to how you give direction to any client (children, family, engagement, brides, etc..) to get them to loosen up. Sometimes I struggle with this if they are especially stiff and self-conscious. Just wondering what you all do out there. Thanks!

When shooting stiff people, I like to shoot using around 100 to 120mm. That way the camera isn't right up in their face and they relax a little.

formals are the hardest - i much rather photojournalistic. for what you're talking about, i try to give them a scenario - from something simple like whisper something to her about the honeymoon or a complex setup like bride and groom kiss in the background, ring bearer turn around and look at them, and flower girl cover the ring bearer's eyes. sometimes i'll ask them "if i brought a goat into the picture how would you use it" - then take a shot of THAT reaction.

i'd like to hear of more scenarios - especially for kids. hard for them to smile at a stranger - i've seen where they're asked to say "nice". guess i could start handing out bunnies at weddings.

First off, your client needs to be comfortable with you. Then you just talk to them as you shoot. Talk about anything, then when you are ready tell them to give you that great smile of theirs. They will do it not even thinking. As far as kids go, peek a boo works with most of them until they get older and then Mom will usually tell them to smile. The more confident you are behind the camera the more comfortable your subject will be in front of the camera.

Generally I will talk with the client and get a feeling or at least a sense of the photos they are looking for. Once we have figured that out I will take a couple of shots and then figure out how I want to light it. From there I look at their initial reaction to the camera. Then we work on details of how to be achieve the final product.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back