What kind of lense would I need?

If your close enough, a 50mm prime lens would work good here. If your further away, the fastest 80-200 type lens would work. But where talking big bucks on these lenses.

I assuming you won't be close. Because the 50 would be pretty cheap. I just meant the 80-200.

How close is close?

I can get in the first row.

Is that a zoom lense?

___

Is their a cheaper Telephoto lense that would work?

You'll probably want something at 100+ mm for this kind of thing, as Kevin suggests an 70-200 would be perfect, but it's going to cost quite a bit to get the level of light (low f-number) that you need without another tradeoff somewhere else.

Bear in mind that a 50mm lens offers about the same magnification as your eyes; so choose a length of lens which suits the circumstances. The 70-200 is very versatile, but it's going to be more expensive to get the necessary light, so perhaps compromise with a 100mm or thereabouts? I don't like going below about an f2.8 for light purposes, but that's just my opinion. I would probably go for a 100 or 135mm length with about f2 or f2.8 to save cash.

Example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=12058&is=USA

If you don't mind grainy images, which should work well with this kind of subject anyway, then choose a film with a large ISO number like 1600 or 3200 and you'll be able to shoot in very low light even with a higher f-number lens.

Let us know what you think.

Rob

Ihaveaquestion said:
How close is close?

For a person, whole body subject filling the picture:

A 50mm lens will be about right at about 10-12ft, whereas a 100mm lens will be fine at 20-24ft, 200mm at 40-48ft etc.

The f4.5 minimum lens you listed in your link will probably be too dark to get the shots in the speed you require.

It depends on how much you were zoomed in on your P&S for us to know how close that was (looks fairly wide though, so that's pretty close). After seeing your descriptions, i think the 50mm 1.8 would do very well, and the 100mm 2.0 would do even better. Are you shooting digital or film?

Right now just my digital point and shoot (if Ritz will ever let me have it back).

I'm just pricing everything out before I decide.

Ill have a film slr for the fall (photography class).

I was going to buy a 350D at the end of this month but I held the 20D first.

So going digital SLR is going to have to wait a couple months.

Personally, I'd say the 100 f2 would do the job a treat. I like prime lenses (ones which don't zoom) as I find that it's one less thing to think about, which results in me improving my composition with what I've got. Another benefit is that the "jack of all trades - master of none" theory, where something which is specifically designed to do one job, will do it better. You will generally get a lower f-number and therefore more light with a prime lens. However, you're stuck with it's length... It's a trade-off.

If you value highly sharpness, low-grain and the ability to take a shot fast, I'd say a prime is the way to go. However, if you want flexibility then get a sensible zoom like the 28-70 or 70-200. I personally have a 20mm and a 105mm which go everywhere with me. The lenses I don't always take are a 180mm for long situations and a 50mm (1.2) for low light. If I were going to your event, I'd stick with my 105mm as it's a 1.8 and it's going to be fine in that kind of light with a 400 ISO film which isn't going to break down and go grainy (like a 3200 would).

Horses for courses and all that.

Hope I've helped rather than confused!!!

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back