What kind of remote cable do I need for off-camera flash?

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
I need a remote cable so I can get my SB-600 off of my D50. I'm seeing dozens of different kinds of cables...some of them I don't see the connector for on either the camera or the flash, yet they're listed on the Nikon web site as SB-600 accessories! Which one would I need?

--Illah

Illah said:
I need a remote cable so I can get my SB-600 off of my D50. I'm seeing dozens of different kinds of cables...some of them I don't see the connector for on either the camera or the flash, yet they're listed on the Nikon web site as SB-600 accessories! Which one would I need?

--Illah

Nikon SC-28

There is a difference between the SC-28 and the SC-29. The SC-29 has an external AF-assist illuminator, while the sc-28 does not. What would be the purpose of that? Wouldn't the illuminator built in the SB-600 still work? I thought the purpose of the cord was just to replicate the hot shoe off camera? Forgive me if the answer is common knowledge. I'm a NewB.

LAW2 said:
There is a difference between the SC-28 and the SC-29. The SC-29 has an external AF-assist illuminator, while the sc-28 does not. What would be the purpose of that? Wouldn't the illuminator built in the SB-600 still work? I thought the purpose of the cord was just to replicate the hot shoe off camera? Forgive me if the answer is common knowledge. I'm a NewB.

The one on the flash unit will work fine as long as it is directed at the subject. Having one on the hot shoe is sure to have it directed at the subject. Personally, I own the SC-29 but wouldn't buy it again because it is fairly expensive. I think the SC-28 is the way to go. Personally, I don't use AF that often.

fmw said:
It is a coiled cord. It stretches.

I have an SC-29 I haven't actually tried but I really don't think it will strech 9 feet.

Surely you Nikonians can get wireless flash triggering?

W.Smith said:
Surely you Nikonians can get wireless flash triggering?

Every model but the D50...that's the only thing about the D50 I regret. Still, on the price:performance front I can't imagine any camera surpassing the D50 at this point. Plus it's so rare I'd ever really use this feature that it's doesn't affect me in 99.9% of situations.

The cable is actually more for my girl as she's more into photographing people. Outside of my club/concert photography, I would say only about 1 out of 50 of my shots has anyone in it :)

--Illah

Illah said:
Every model but the D50.
Wrong. The D70/s, D80, and D200 are the only 3 Nikons with a built in commander mode for free wireless. with the D50, D100, D1/h/x, D2/h/x you need either an SB-800 or an SU-800 to trigger wireless flash.

Most reactions

Back