What Lens for T2i?

Parks71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After much debate of getting a t2i or d90 I am going to get the T2i. I hear the kit lens is not very good? If I got body only, what lens would you recommend for the 500-600 range? I am new to this and it needs to be something that can be pretty versitle. Thank you.

Save more money and buy something you are gonna have for awhile. Sorry for the vague answer but a vague question gets one of those. What will you be shooting would be a good place to start.

So just get the kit lens for now and save up? Is the kit lens that comes with the 7D good enough to justify buying that and just keeping that lens for a while?

Will be shooting family pics, soccer game pictures, landscape, wildlife.

I realize there is not one perfect lens to do it all but I am looking for some direction to get a start. Would the kit lens along with the 200$ 200m canon lens be the way to go? 7D and just kit lens?

I believe most kit lenses are the 18 - 55mm zoom. It is good for some things but lacks for long range. I went with the Nikon D90 and it came with the 18-105mm which gives it a little more reach. I have a zoom for my film SLR that goes up to 205mm and for some things it was really lacking. I purposely bought another zoom when I purchased my DSLR because I knew I was not going to be happy with just a lower focal length lens. I can't comment about what to buy specifically for Canon but you may feel limited in what you can shoot with just one lens.

As intimated the usual standard kit lens has little reach (magnification).

A lens at 55 mm on a Canon crop sensor (1.6x) gives a 135 format equivelent field-of-view of 88 mm.

88m is not long enough to make good soccer images IMO.

I have gotten by with a 70-300 mm for soccer before.

Last edited:
So just get the kit lens for now and save up? Will be shooting family pics, soccer game pictures, landscape, wildlife.
The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens covers a very useful range of focal lengths. It costs only ≈$75 more to get this lens in the kit compared to the cost of the camera body alone. That makes it an extremely good value.

The kit lens can be used for family photos and landscapes. With a decent bounceable flash like the $280 Speedlite 430EX II, it can be used for indoor family photos.

For soccer games and wildlife, you will want a lens with a longer focal length to cover a narrower field of view. The $625 EF 70-200mm f/4L USM is a high-quality telephoto zoom lens. The $250 EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is an inexpensive telephoto zoom lens.

Sounds as though you haven't settled into a specific focus:sexywink: for your photography - hence, the vague answers... as expected...

Here's a suggestion that certainly couldn't do any harm.... I'd check out the Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5 VC - It's certainly in your price range; currently has an $80 rebate, and is a great 'all-round' lens that you can keep on your body for most of the time - until you settle into a specific area... it's rec'd wonderful reviews as far as quality, and it has a wide range of focul lengths..

:idea:Just a thought...:idea:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back