What lens for this job?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been hired to shoot a bunch of portraits and candid photos in a small start-up office next week. For the portraits I'm fine, I have my favourite 85mm 1.8 and a nifty fifty on a d610, but for the candid photos I'm not sure if 50 is going to be wide enough, and my only walk about lens is a 28-85mm 3.5~ that came out around 20+ years ago and for me just isn't professional quality...

I am thinking to either buy a cheap wide prime or rent something else (budget is unfortunately very important). But would love any opinions? The kind of images they want are like what airbnb have on their career page: Leben | Karriere bei Airbnb

What would you do for this?

Last edited:
For the price of the 35 you'd easily pick up a 24-85 f3.6-4.5 vr which is easily good enough for candids on your camera unless the light is atrocious

Um ... next week ?

That means you can only buy stuff you can find in the shop.

A cheap wide angle of good quality would be for example the AF 35mm f2.0, but its unlikely you'll find that ready in the shop or that the shop will be able to get that until next week.

Yeah it will be a little bit tight if I order online but the shoot still isn't confirmed on the date so I am hoping it won't be until at least the end of next week.

How about something like this for example?
Sigma 18-35 mm f/3,5-4.5 D Aspherical AF Objektiv für Nikon DX oder FX

Would definitely cover the range I need for lifestyle/interior but the only zoom I bought so far was extremely disappointing, since then I lost trust in zooms, at least the ones within my current budget. Otherwise my 28-85 would be fine for this shoot.

Edit: After reading some reviews I am starting to think that this wouldn't be high enough quality... But something of a similar range would be very nice if it is sharp enough. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
So I have been hired to shoot a bunch of portraits and candid photos in a small start-up office next week. For the portraits I'm fine, I have my favourite 85mm 1.8 and a nifty fifty on a d610, but for the candid photos I'm not sure if 50 is going to be wide enough, and my only walk about lens is a 28-85mm 3.5~ that came out around 20+ years ago and for me just isn't professional quality...
Okay... you're concerned about your equipment not being professional quality (Clients dont know or care... it's a black thing with with a sticky-outy bit at the front and sometimes it's attached to a bright light...) yet you're asking about focal lengths and considering buying new glass a few days before a shoot????? I'm sorry, but this screams of, "In wayyy over my head!".
As I stated in your other thread, there's a lot more to those "candids" than you seem to think, and it might well save you a lot of grief in the long run to simply tell the client that you're not equipped for that sort of work right now

How good is the lens with flash, shot at f/8? I think you ought to be okay if you have enough flash power to light up the work areas to get to f/8. Besides, these images are gonna' be seen smallish, right?

Most reactions

Back