What lens next? Fuji specific question. Need help.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by SquarePeg, Oct 31, 2017.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The 35/2WR is very sweet. I passed on the 23/2 WR since I've got an X100T. Looking forward to getting the 50/2 WR over the holidays.Recently picked up a pretty X-T1 Graphite+grip that are drawing me ever deeper into Fuji territory. The f2 "Fujicrons" are killer.

2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Get 'em all!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I buy by focal range, trying not to overlap. Having said that, primes are pretty special in the micro contrast area so they have specific uses for me. My lineup, is the 16, 23, 18-55, 60, 50-140, 55-200, 100-400. The 16mm is by far the best of the bunch in terms of micro contrast and image rendition. My next lens is going to probably be the 80mm macro, what a fantastic lens from what I can see, it also accepts the 1.4 TC which is a bonus. It may be the finest "current" macro lens out there and it's not even close.

I rented the 35 f/2 and it is fantastic as is the 23 f/2. Very different in the viewfinder but super high end image rendition and micro contrast. Not to mention that the color rendition is spectacular. Have no clue on the 90 but the images I see are typical Fuji juicyness.

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

4. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I thought you had the 90. It wasn't you that was telling me how great it is? Damn, I don't know who it was then.

5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I may have told you it was great based on Flickr and x photographers website. I seen a real thorough review on it as well. If that is a focal length you require, go for it. I am very pleased with my 50-140 for all intensive purposes so I won't be purchasing a 90. The 80 would work for me as well for portraits, you just need to stop it down to prevent the swirling bokeh but I probably wouldn't use it for that anyway.

6. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I have a 90mm.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    AHA!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    And so it begins... I'm returning the 23 f/2. I used it almost exclusively for a week - Christmas Day photos, landscapes, candids, low light, good light, food, flowers, faces... surprisingly to me, I prefer the 18-55. I really didn't feel there was anything I got with the 23 f2 that I can't get with the kit zoom. So now on to the next lens - we'll see how I like the 35 f/2 and make a decision on that after this week.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not super surprised. If the sharpness is similar, most people don't need the shorter focal lengths to be super fast, because you're going to struggle to throw backgrounds OOF regardless (especially on that sized sensor). The extra stop probably doesn't make that big of a difference. If you were doing astrophotography or something, maybe it'd be worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking something smaller sized than the kit would be good to have for when I'm out and about. I may grab one of the pancake lenses instead for when I just want to throw the xt2 in my purse and head out the door. I made the mistake with Nikon in keeping lenses that I bought and didn't love and ended up with some that I almost never used and I don't want to end up with that again. I guess I don't really NEED anything right now with the 18-55 and 50-230 covering most of what I shoot and the 60mm macro I just love for flowers... I'll save up and add either the 90 or the 80 for portraits and maybe get the Rokinon fisheye for fun at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not too surprised to read this, since that's been my own, personal experience with short prime lenses that are near the "wide end" of modern zoom lenses...the focal length flexibility of the zoom lens is really handy, and the wider-angle,short focal length lenses are always "fixed", and indoors and at closer ranges (20 meters or less) focal length flexibility is often more-critical than ultimate sharpness.

My favorite prime lenses have all been telephotos...

And even though I own a bunch of wide-angle primes, I most-often reach for a 28-80mm inexpensive zoom lens, even on 24- and 36-MP cameras...I want the framing and the focal lengths to be just right..."ultimate sharpness" is typically not my most important criterion in what lens is used to shoot a photo.

12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

I'm not sure what I was thinking, lol. I rarely like any image I shoot at less than 50mm and I know that. I guess I was hoping the prime would work some magic and make me like shooting "wide" even though 23 isn't really wide to anyone but me.