What lens next? Fuji specific question. Need help.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by SquarePeg, Oct 31, 2017.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Have had the 50/2 WR for a couple of days and love it: fast AF, sharp, truly nice bokeh. The 75mm equivalent works.

2. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Interesting. I do miss my Nikon 50 1.8 sometines. But I like the 60mm macro and don’t want to repeat too close to that. I’ve got the 35mm on the xt2 and will try to use it a lot over the next week then I have to decide...

Anyone rocking the Rockinon 85mm 1.4? I know it’s MF so not sure if it’s my thing but for that price it’s tempting and has some nice reviews. I may try to use only MF for a portrait session with my daughter to see how I do.

3. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

For Princeses' sports, I recommend the 50-140 w/a 2x teleconverter. Granted the 50-230 is sharp and nice to toss in your purse, but the 50-140 is for the times when you get serious and need the f/2.8.

But the 50-140 f/2.8 is a 'real' lens for 'real' photography. :cool-48:

Seriously, the f/2.8 makes a world of difference image wise and weight/size wise. The lens is not something trivial, but for my photos well worth the additional PITA.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    That does seem like a great lens but my purpose in switching to Fuji was to lighten the load and I’m trying to stay true to that. As for the sports photos, lately she’s only playing softball which is outdoors during the day or under the lights at night so the light has not an issue there and the 2.8 not really necessary. I’m just in this for me/for fun so no need to get serious!

5. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Seriously, I think the relatively affordable f2 "Fujicrons" are giant killers. The 50mm equiv. 35/2 is like a dream "nifty 50." I'll shoot more with the 50/2 once the current polar weather recedes a bit but so far I'm smitten. I'm quickly being convinced these new f2 primes are the lenses for Fuji's ILCs. Their big-ass zooms overwhelm those bodies and pretty much put me back to lugging the same tonnage and bulk of a Nikon DSLR.

I'm not totally sold on fast Korean glass. Budget-pricing aside, they're a bit cludgy and sort of "OK+" optically--something most people rationalize/explain away in light of the sticker price. Shot a Nikon version and wasn't totally flattened by the IQ. YMMV, as usual.

6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I think the 35mm f/2 might be for me. It’s small and super light and I love the way it renders the backgrounds even stopped down a bit to. f/4.5

These first 2 were converted in camera from raw with some minor tweaks to exposure. The portrait was taken at f/2.8 and I did a quick edit in Affinity on my iPad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  7. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'd keep it. Beautiful shot of your daughter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gary A.

Well ... if you want fun ... the Rokinon 8mm fish. But after the 35mm.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    That is on my list for sure. Especially after seeing the very cool photos that someone posted in the weekly challenge threads. It was either Fred von den Berg or gk fotografie who had some great fish eye shots. Looks like a fun outing!

10. Gary A.

At least once a month we go wine tasting. From Sonoma-Napa to the Mother Lode to the Central Valley to Paso Robles to the Santa Rita Hills to Los Olivas to Malibu to Temecula ... et al. We explore, we taste, we conquer. The very best wineries that we discover, we become members and now fine wines from all over California are delivered to our door.

The photo was from Talley Winery in the Edna Valley. The Edna Valley is south of San Luis Obispo (California’s Central Coast) and is designated an AVA. Good stuff but didn’t make the membership cut.

11. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You and that Fuji system seem to be playing very well together. Like Gary says, that 50-140 is real special, excellent subject isolation. I've used it with the 1.4 TC but do not own the 2.0 tc.

12. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit

If I ever abandon my goal to keep my gear small and light, the 50-140 will be my first purchase.