what lens should i get

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by den9, Dec 16, 2007.

1. johnmh

johnmh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Tokina 12-24 is fine (IMO) and half the cost of the Nikon.

The 18-200 is a great walk-around lens but it has issues. Depends on how demanding you are. It IS far more flexible (and easier to carry) than the 80-200. It's the lens of choice for my wife (and she's the Fine Arts degree/photographer)

The 80-200 is less expensive and somewhat smaller than the 70-200. Comparable quality and speed without the VR. But if $ isn't a big consideration then there's no comparison (again IMO) - the 70-200 VR is an amazing lens. But neither is a 'walk-around' in the sense that the 18-200 is.

THere may be an alternative for you - I've gotten some GREAT shots with the non-VR 70-300 - which is NOT all that expensive. Quite inexpensive actually. The VR version is cheaper than the 18-200 VR and produces decent shots as well - better than the 18-200 IMO.

If you want something with reach, a 70-300 might be a nice interim purchase that works with what you have. If you're focused on sharpness, speed and quality then you're into more $$ and the 80-200 or 70-200 VR.....

trade-offs, trade-offs.......

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think the 18-70 is a fine walking around lens keep it and use the 70-200 for fine images.

3. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

i might get the 12-24 since i do alot of landscape photos

or the 80-200 since i take car and animal pictures rarely

now i gotta decide what id use more.

4. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

i went with the nikon 12-24 f/4

and im gonna save up for the 80-200 next

5. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You can always go with the 3rd party Wide angle zoom Lens if cost is your concern. They have been making very good quality Lenses so far. Especially for the Wide Angle Zoom lens, I rarely seen any complaint from users who have bought it, whatever the brand is (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Nikon or Canon).

But, if you only want Nikon in your lens arsenal then the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX is a good buy. You'll love this lens like I do.

6. den9

den9 TPF Noob!

yeah id rather save up and spend the extra money on the nikon glass, its something that i can use forever, if not i can sell it easily