What's new

What lens should I get?

TheMikeGuy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Right now, I am having trouble deciding over what lens I should get for my Canon T2i out of these two:

Sigma 18-200 f3.5-6.0

Rokinon 8mm f3.5-6.3

Currently, I only have a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.

I am on yearbook, and I will be doing sports photography soon during spring. Also, just for photography in general, I could use a longer range. Usually, I aim more for candid portrait photography.

I am also going to be doing skateboard photography and film for a skateboard group during spring and summer, so the fisheye will come in handy then. Another use of the fisheye is that I am going to be shooting a 7 minute documentary about my school for a statewide video competition, and the fisheye can help with certain scenes.

Both lenses cost around $250, and that is how much I have right now.

What do you think I should go for?
 
Get the sigma, and don't think twice about it.

Fisheye effect is cool, don't get it twisted. It's a specialty lens though. You will get MUCH more use out of the Sigma.
 
Welcome to the forum.

I really don't like lenses with a really wide range, often called 'super zooms'...like the 18-200mm. To get that much zoom (at that price) they really compromise on the image quality. They are notoriously bad at the extremes...the widest, the longest and the max aperture etc. Convenient...yes, but at the price of image quality.

As for the fish-eye, I don't know about that particular lens...but any fish-eye is a pretty specific tool. They can be fun, but it's something that quickly gets old. And in that price range, you probably aren't getting much quality.

Since you say that you only have a 50mm...I'd suggest that the next lens should be a 'normal range' zoom. The typical mate for a Rebel is the 18-55mm....and you should be able to find a good used one fairly cheap because so many people have them...and so many people have upgraded from them. They are cheap 'kit' lenses, so I'd only recommend one if you can't afford something better...but I still think that you'd get a lot of use out of it, if the only other lens you have is a 50mm.
 
Welcome to the forum.

I really don't like lenses with a really wide range, often called 'super zooms'...like the 18-200mm. To get that much zoom (at that price) they really compromise on the image quality. They are notoriously bad at the extremes...the widest, the longest and the max aperture etc. Convenient...yes, but at the price of image quality.

As for the fish-eye, I don't know about that particular lens...but any fish-eye is a pretty specific tool. They can be fun, but it's something that quickly gets old. And in that price range, you probably aren't getting much quality.

Since you say that you only have a 50mm...I'd suggest that the next lens should be a 'normal range' zoom. The typical mate for a Rebel is the 18-55mm....and you should be able to find a good used one fairly cheap because so many people have them...and so many people have upgraded from them. They are cheap 'kit' lenses, so I'd only recommend one if you can't afford something better...but I still think that you'd get a lot of use out of it, if the only other lens you have is a 50mm.

+1
 
Yea, thats some good advice.
 
I know it's more than those other two, but check out Canon 70-200 f/4L lenses, especially used. They only thing you'd really be missing then is a wider angle and you can find 18-55 kit lenses for cheap. I think I gave mine away. The 70-200 can be found for about $500ish. I know that's kind of expensive for a high school budget, but it's a fantastic lens.
 
I know it's more than those other two, but check out Canon 70-200 f/4L lenses, especially used. They only thing you'd really be missing then is a wider angle and you can find 18-55 kit lenses for cheap. I think I gave mine away. The 70-200 can be found for about $500ish. I know that's kind of expensive for a high school budget, but it's a fantastic lens.


But but but i spent 1100 on a lens and am in highschool. All depends on how many hours a week you wanna work :lmao:

Edit: And how long you are willing to wait and save.
 
As a recent high school grad that shot just about every sport my school offered I can tell you right now that an f/6 lens will only work if your shooting outside during the day. F/6 just doesn't let in enough light for any indoor sports or night time events.

As suggested above you should look at the 70-200mm f/4, it's a bit out of your budget but if you can save a little more it's well worth it.
 
Yeah I would avoid the fisheye as is really is a specialty tool. A nice tool, but maybe not the best 2nd lens. Are you primarily shooting sport indoor or outdoor?
 
out of the 2 lenses I would go with the 18-200mm, this will make a great "every day" lens. However once your budget increases you might want to look at something like 70-200mm which is a hot piece of glass if you ask me.
 
get the sigma. Its a great lens
 
Alright, thank you, everyone!

And just to supply some additional information:

For the yearbook, I don't take many pictures of sports, and if I do, I already have a Sony Alpha with a 75-300mm lens to back me up that I sold to the school. Actually, its the money from selling it that I am using to buy the new lens.
What I normally take for yearbook are just simple candids of class room activity and shots of the teachers, its all pretty simple.

Outside of school, I still stick with candid shots, but it has a less simple approach. Usually, though, I aim for good portrait shots.
I do photograph a sport outside of school, and it is skateboarding. I also will be shooting the video for a skateboarding group. I think I mentioned this before, but I am just restating myself.

Pretty much, here is a short breakdown of my plans for which lens I choose:

Sigma 18-200mm:
Candid portrait photography/ possible nature photography

Rokinon 8mm:
Skateboard photography
Skateboard video
Candid photography

And I really wish I could afford a much better lens, but I don't have a job at the moment, for it is tricky to get one as a fifteen year old. If you want to see some of my photography to see an example of what I am trying to improve on with buying this lens, here is a link:

flickr.com/themikeguy

What do you think?
 
If i was in your shoes i'd much rather buy a 17-50mm and a 70-200mm instead of a fisheye and 18-200mm.
 
Cracked lens etiquette? - Bulldog Skates Message Board

Mike, Have you tried doing any skateboard work with the wide end of something like a 17-50 or 18-55? I was just wondering since they are more economical choices. Also have you considered a wide zoom like a 11-16 (not a fisheye)?

Check out the link for some cool grind shots gone bad. I hang out with the old guys (like me) at that website. I just sold my pig and DH setup to purchase a new camera. I'm only left with a homemade 48" cruiser w/ Sixtrax and S9 red race wheels w/ bones swiss.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom