What's new

What lens should I get?

photonutjob

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm new here and I signed up in the hope of getting some advice on what lens to get.

I'm new to photography and have a 450d. I want to upgrade from my 18-55 IS kit lens.

I like taking landscape shots but would also like to zoom and have a decent all purpose walkabout lens.

I would like to be able to take relatively sharp shots indoors also.

There are SO MANY options out there I am really confused now :confused:

I don't have a lot of money but have been looking at the Canon 15-85mm lens. Does anyone know if this lens is worth the money as it is more expensive than all the other similar lenses? Are there any other moderately priced lenses that are recommended?

Basically, what I would really like to know is that if the Canon 15-85 lens is worth the extra money.
Thanks in advance.
Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
 
Thanks Vinny. That would suggest that lens isn't really worth the money! Maybe I'd be better off getting an 18-200, 18-135 etc so that I'd have more versatility if there's not much difference in image quality?

Anyone else know more about Canon lenses?

Thanks
 
Problem is, that most of these zoom lenses will perform very similar quality wise.
If you want something that has a better quality, you almost have to step away from the long zoom factors and go for the more specialised lensen (wide angle, prime or the L-series zoom lenses)
But quality does come at a price Especially when you want a lens that also works great indoors (f2.8 anyone ??)
 
Generally a super zoom is going to have more quality issues than a "standard" zoom (if there is such a thing.) Here... think of it this way... more mm=more quality issues or expoentially higher cost.

The 18-200 has REALLY big issues between like ~18-40 and ~160 and up. It's fine elsewhere.

Check the lens reviews on any lens you are considering for better details.

With a limited budget and when looking for a general purpose lens, I would think you would want something that would be in the 18-20s range on the low end and 50s-100 range on the high end, You're likely going to wind up with a variable aperture lens... usually F4/5.6. It will be of acceptable quality for the untrained eye of a new shooter, but not good.

I would take that basic range, go to a lens listing website, and pick the one in your range that falls in your budget. Check the reviews, and go from there.
 
What you need in order to do what you want with a single lens, (walkaround, landscape, indoor low light) is a constant aperture zoom. They do, however, cost some money. Canon's 17-55 2.8 is about $300 more than the 15-85 you mentioned, however, Sigma and Tamron both make a 2.8 in the same focal range for less than half of the Canon. Don't be afraid to consider third party lenses. Like Canon, they make lenses at all price and quality points. At the same time, you also mention you're new to photography. My advice would be learn first, upgrade later. This will give you time to both improve your skills and save some more money. Better glass won't make you or your pictures better. Time, practice, and understanding the technical side of photography will. Your 18-55 kit lens isn't really all that bad. My first DSLR was the 350D. The 18-55 that came with it was pure crap. The 18-55IS that you have is a much better lens, and certainly more than adequate to learn with. The IS will also help you "cheat" a little in low light.
 
I suggest buy a 10-22mm lens and a 55-250mm lens. 18-55 + 55-250 lens would be enough for your walkabout lens and the 10-22mm would be nice for landscapes. I hope this would help. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom