What lens to buy

lj4bes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got a new lens for Christmas, but I already have the same one 50mm for my Canon t6i, I also have 55-250. I like to shoot landscapes and seascapes mostly. I've read and reread but still unsure what lens to buy, mostly because I don't understand all the info about them. For instance is image stabilization best to have? I would like a longer zoom, what is the difference between standard zoom & telephoto?? Would efs 17-55mm be a better zoom than my 55-250?? Is there a good wide zoom lens?? ( in the $800 range)?? Too many questions?? Uggh, help.. please..

A standard zoom has a shorter focal length than a telephoto and is not a prime (fixed focal length).

Image stabilisation can be useful if you shoot at longer shutter speeds handheld. But you can allways use a tripod and if there is anything moving in the scene you may want to keep your shutter speed high anyway, so depending on what you shoot it may be useful or you might not use it at all.

If you want a decent landscape lens but don't really know what you want I'd recommend a Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6. Its a good lens in your budget and is quite versitile.

A standard zoom has a shorter focal length than a telephoto and is not a prime (fixed focal length).

Image stabilisation can be useful if you shoot at longer shutter speeds handheld. But you can allways use a tripod and if there is anything moving in the scene you may want to keep your shutter speed high anyway, so depending on what you shoot it may be useful or you might not use it at all.

If you want a decent landscape lens but don't really know what you want I'd recommend a Canon 15-85mm f3.5-5.6. Its a good lens in your budget and is quite versitile.
Thanks for the info

I've been doing research on the canon ef35 f2 it's a wide angle, says it's great for landscape and group photos. Does anyone have one, or can offer me any insight on this lens?

You could get the 10-18 AND 18-55 stm lens in budget and have a enough leftover to start thinking about a tripod. WspeciLly if you buybused or refurbished. Thise two kens are fairly easy to find used as theyvare a specialty( ultra wide) and common kit lens.

It is useful to have a full range of focal lengths, you would be covered 10-250mm which is great; 50 more than myself at the moment. A tripod is extremely handy for many applications. You would have the prime lens covered basically by the 18-55 and the 55-250 but the 50 prine is very exceptional for indoor low light situations.

Forgot to mention the 10-18 and 18-55 are also IS.

You may want to trade up from kit quality for a 24-70 2.8 L. I sure want to!

You stated you want longer zoom. So you want 250 mm + zoom. Thats a very long lens and not " normally" used for scapes. Maybe a 300mm 2.8!?

Last edited:
Typically you want to go wider than 55mm for landscapes,but It would be fine if you make panoramic photos.

Some people (like me) love really wide lenses. Others don´t, so depending on what look you prefer, you will get different recommendations.
I was searching for a good wideangle zoom lens for canon EF-S mount 2 years ago and my research led me to buy the Tokina AT-X 11-16mm f/2,8 Pro DX II I am pretty happy with the performance of the lens.
I shoot a lot of seascapes, here are a few examples from the seychelles (mostly shot with focal lengths that would be covered by the above mentioned lens)

Great, I'll look into info on that..
I'm curious, why is the 55-250 not a good lens for scapes??
It is good for landscapes. There is a current fashion for using excessively wide-angle lenses for landscapes producing boring, empty vistas but it is far from universal. I prefer a focal length around 90 mm for landscapes.

Some people (like me) love really wide lenses. Others don´t, so depending on what look you prefer, you will get different recommendations.
I was searching for a good wideangle zoom lens for canon EF-S mount 2 years ago and my research led me to buy the Tokina AT-X 11-16mm f/2,8 Pro DX II I am pretty happy with the performance of the lens.
I shoot a lot of seascapes, here are a few examples from the seychelles (mostly shot with focal lengths that would be covered by the above mentioned lens)
Those are amazing. I ended up buying a canon 10-22mm, but I doh think I'm going to lie it too much, maybe because I'm used to my zoom. I can't seem to get used to it, everything seems so far away

Most reactions

New Topics

Back