What lens to use???

obike_flick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok i have my first possible opportunity, but im not sure what size lens would be good for this? I would be doing close up work of tattoos, she has several and is making a portfolio of them. As you may know that I am new to photography and as of now only have a 30-200mm lens so i need to know what would work best for this so I can get one, which I am going to need anyways. And being newbie at this when she asked for a price all I asked for was to be able to use her pics in my portfolio also, was that the best way to do it? I thought it would be that way it helps us both, she gets her pics and I get the experience. Thanks for the help.

Assuming you've got a DSLR with interchangeable lenses, a 50mm f1.8 is a good bet for this kind of work as you'll be in difficult lighting situations (if I know most tattooing and piercing places!).

Sounds like a good idea about the portfolio. You might like to ask to put a card in the shop window as well to advertise services.

Rob

Thanks for the advice. The photos will prob be taken at her home but from talking to her the lighting will be just as dark as the shops would be lol. But I will be giving cards for her to pass out just to get my name out there to be heard. Word of mouth is allways good way to get known.

I second a 50mm f/1.8, unless you are going to be getting REAL close up, in which case a 50mm won't focus close enough. You may want to look at a macro lens then. As for lighting, if you are just framing the tatoo, I'd bring a shop light with me, and provide my own light.

I shouldnt be getting close enough for a macro i think the 50mm will do the job. But the shop light is a good idea though. Thanks

Couldn't hurt to have a tripod, especially in low light.

I seem to be talking up tripods a lot lately....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back