What lens

mrsdthompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What lens would work good for groups of people? I have a Nikon D90

Although I am not experienced with taking shots like that, however, giving us a little more details should help us understand what you try to accomplish.

5 groups of 2 people certainly is different with 1 group of 200 people.
Taking the shots in football stadium (which may have a lot of room) maybe different from indoor.

Last edited:
That would depend on the size of the group, how they are arranged/posed, and how far from the group you want to be.

Depth-of-field is controlled by 4 factors:
  1. focal point to camera distance
  2. lens focal length
  3. lens aperture
  4. focal point to background distance.
I sometimes shoot soccer teams with a 24 mm lens because of the venue, and sometimes I shoot soccer teams with a 300 mm lens at another venue. And I use focal lengths in between those 2 extremes as the situation varies.

With the 23 mm lens I am wihin 10 feet of the group and the background is also close behind the group. With the 300 mm lens I'm 50 feet from the group and the background is 200 feet behind the group.

Doing people shots requires a selection of lenses, both zoom lenses and prime lenses.

to add what Keith says.. it will also be determined on the flash too if you are using one. Shooting with 200mm with flash mounted on your camera will barely do anything :).

What lens do you have?

It'll be about 7 people. Thanks guys for your help!

What's your budget? Do you want to get full bodies in? Where are you shooting them - outside, in a house, studio, garage, under water, the moon?

Be careful with really wide lenses as they will distort and could make the group seem a bit weird, specially those on the edges. Might work for ya, depending on what you are aiming to do.
I like somewhere between 24mm and 35mm for groups.

My budget isn't much. I will be shooting full bodies outdoors.

Not much... still very vague. Not much can be $1000 or it can be $100... or anything below, above or in between

What lens would work good for groups of people? I have a Nikon D90

It'll be about 7 people. Thanks guys for your help!

My budget isn't much. I will be shooting full bodies outdoors.

What lens do you have?
55-200mm
Which 55-200 mm might that be?

You provide as little information as possible, making people drag the information out of you they need to be helpful.

Making good photographs is all about attention to the details, and there are lots of them. You don't seem to be a detail type of person.

That's not it. I just don't know what's important yet. That's why I'm asking questions. Obviously if I'm asking what type of lens' to buy I know nothing. I can't just automatically know what's important. I think it's an unfair assumption for you to say I'm not a detailed enough person to ever take a good photograph. I'm here to learn what kinds of details are important in making my decision. I have been getting some good advice on what sorts of things to consider. I had no clue a flash type would matter in the choice of a lens. By "not much" I mean I want the cheapest lens I can find and I'll upgrade later. I'm at a practice point. I guess I thought "not much" went without saying... means I'm broke as a joke right now but I want a lens anyways. Come one be nice! I'm still learning and I'm hear in a beginners forum asking beginner questions in a beginner kind of a way. Give me a break! I'm not asking for a pro quality lens at this point. Basically just a toy for now, and I have no idea what kind of information you need to help me. But if I did I would put it I promise!

Come one be nice! I'm still learning and I'm hear in a beginners forum asking beginner questions in a beginner kind of a way. Give me a break! I'm not asking for a pro quality lens at this point. Basically just a toy for now, and I have no idea what kind of information you need to help me. But if I did I would put it I promise!

That's just it.. I'm sure that no one is trying to be rude for the sake of being rude. We're just trying to guide you in the right direction because the original post was very vague.

To the OP... your original post and all the posts are very vague and it seems the people who responded are trying really hard to pull information from you...

The 50-200 which you have is a telephoto lens and in order to take group shots, you will have to be pretty far out, even if the lens is at 55mm.
I would suggest picking up a 18-55mm lens which happens to be quite inexpensive and and will give you most usable range for most situations (can get a used one for about 100$) or a 18-200 which will give you the most usable length on a D90 from wide to telephoto in a flash without switching lens.
After you practice and shoot enough group pictures, I suggest going back and looking at all the pictures to see what focal length you happen to use the most, and upgrade in that field with a faster lens and better glass.

Ask yourself whats missing from your shots and what perhaps ask on how to improve by posting a picture or two asking for cc. Obviously the more expensive lens tend to be better and improve he picture in a few ways, but it will not change your eye; only practice will do that.
Also I found out that libraries carry quite a few books on photography and it really doesn't hurt brushing up on some. This is very inexpensive and it will give you examples and advice which is probably the best way to learn next to taking photo classes.

Now to answer your question; there is no best lens to use because in this case, there are too many factors involved depending on price of the lens and effect which the shooter is looking for.
For example some photographers love using primes for most of their work meanwhile some like using mid range zoom lens or wide angle lens or telephoto lens.

When you ask a question like this, you need to answer a number of things:
- what you're using in terms of equipment (Camera body/Lens/Filters/Flash)
- shooting conditions (dark/light, room/outdoors, sun/shade/cloudy)
- what effect you're looking for

Also you mentioned shooting groups outside, however you never stated the conditions. For example if its sunny the pictures will turn out flat and burned due to the sun and you will require specific filters (polarizer is a good way to start then you can look into a ND Filter ). If its dark and gloomy you will most likely require a flash.

From experience, I can tell you that I've taken two classes of photography in HS, owned a film camera since I was 17-18 and 15 years later I'm still learning and upgrading in this field. Its a hobby which keeps on giving by keeping me busy and I love it; so don't take it personally when you're asked specific questions. Some of the users have 20-30+ years of experience with tens of thousands invested in gear, courses and time put into photography, so all their questions tend to be pretty legit... at least 99% of the time.

Most reactions

Back