72 % Gamut?

Marc Hildebrant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Group,

I am calibrating my HP 25vxLed Backlite Monitor. After I use the Datacolor Spyder X2, the results show a 92% of sRGB result.

When I checked the HP Monitor specifications, I see a 72 % of Gamut. What Gamut are they referring to? I have not been able to find any additional information.

Also, is 92 % of sRGB good or bad?

Marc

sRGB has over 16 million colors whereas the average human can see about one million. I'm sure the differences between 72% and 92% are not significant in most cases.

Snowbear,

Thanks for the reply.

Marc

There are some things you can do to make your images appear more vibrant on a monitor, but I wouldn't worry about it if you like what you see now. The following picture shows the how much of the visual color space are covered by the various color space standards. If you shoot raw, you are capturing the largest color space your camera can see, but your sRGB monitor will only show a smaller subset of your camera's color space. What happens to the colors that can't be reproduced? They are brought down to a less saturated version of the color that the monitor can reproduce.

If you want to see more of what your camera sees, you will need a better monitor. I have a Dell U2716D 27" monitor that can reproduce most of the Adobe RGB color space and I set my cameras to capture Adobe RGB. Note: This is for jpgs out of camera only as the raw file gives you everything the sensor can see. There are better monitors out there, but they are in the $800 and above range. My printer, Canon Pro 1000, has a wider color space than sRGB. So, if I import a raw image into LightRoomClassic, which processes images in ProPhoto RGB, edit it using an an sRGB monitor, a print of that image may look better than what I see on my monitor. That's why LrC has a feature to preview the image in sRGB before exporting if you have an Adobe RGB monitor.

In any case, don't worry about trying to accurately reproduce the color you see when you snap the shutter. Go for pleasing color, the way you want to remember it. If you absolutely need to match a specific color, the difficulty level goes up by an order of magnitude and a much different discussion.

WPrNd.png

If you

Most reactions

New Topics

Back