What lense???

charlotte91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey there need advise on lenses
ive been looking at the nikon 70-200 vr2 but unfotunatley out of my price range and seems a little impractical for me as a begginer

so im now thinking maybe 18-200mm, 18-300mm or anything covering that range or maybe somthing sigma
oh and the nikon 80-400mm heard good and bad any advise fo that one

i would like the telephoto for wildlife

i currently have the 18-105mm on nikon d7000 and the vigneting at 18mm really anoys me

Get the older 80-200 f/2.8. It's a very good lens at a much cheaper price. You're going to want the build quality and constant f/2.8 for wildlife.

There are also 70-200 f/2.8's made by Tamron and Sigma. The tamron is slower to focus than the Sigma, but it's a divine lens for it's price and I think it runs somewhere around $700.
The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS (os being their version of VR) is an amazing lens for the roughly $1200 price tag it has.
The 18-200 all inclusive's will disappoint you a lot for wildlife. When a lens has to work over such a huge range of zoom it has to compromise in order to do it. Because of that the image quality isn't so hot.

In all actuality you are probably going to want a lot more zoom than 200 for wildlife.

both good suggestions that i will explore thanks, i was thinking on the nikon 70-200 id put on the 2x conveter

Get the older 80-200 f/2.8. It's a very good lens at a much cheaper price. You're going to want the build quality and constant f/2.8 for wildlife.

This^^ and a Kenko 1.4 or 1.7 TC. Skip the 80-400 it's fine if you're a small-town newspaper photographer shooting local sports, but that's about it.

does the 80-400 have vr? a small town newspaper photographer would be a huge step up for me

I agree with MjHoward this. Love my 80 - 200. I would highly recommend this direction.

Most reactions

Back