What lenses to use for landscape & nature photography

Blacklabphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im a beginner photographer and would love to take landscape photos of sunrises and sunsets and nature shots what lense what would you suggest I use. I'm doing this more as a hobby while I take my dogs on hikes but would like to have some pictures eventually printed. Below is what I'm working with
Canon 70d

Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5.6
Canon 75-300mm 1:4-5.5
Canon 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
Canon 50mm 1:1.8

it all depends on what sort of image you're looking for...all those lenses would do fine

You're really kind of talking about three types of photography here:
1. Landscape (generally using a wide angle lens with polarizing filter to add pop to clouds and remove glare, sometimes a NDF and a tripod if you're doing a long exposure of a sunset/sunrise or photographing water.

2. Nature (generally a long and fast zoom lens b/c most critters don't let you get up close, they are often moving). For instance, I think most bird photographers will tell you that a 200mm zoom usually isn't long enough for their purposes.

3. Shooting your dogs. They'll be moving and close. You'll want to get down at their level and focus quickly with a fast shutter speed.

The 50mm f1.8 is good for the dogs, okay for landscape and probably not long enough for nature (i.e.: wild critters).

Any lens can be used for landscape and nature.

I shoot birds and use a 150-600mm. Sometimes even that's not enough, depending on the birds in question. Can you give us an idea of what kind of nature shots you're looking to do?

Nature covers a multitude of sins. I have a nice Tamron 90 mm macro lens for small critters and a Sigma 150 - 600 for larger critters. My 'kit' lens of 18-135 mm is good for flowers.

For landscapes, the very wide angle lenses are hard to use effectively although they are currently very fashionable. I favour 20 to 50 mm for landscapes.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

I'm looking to do the same. Been eyeing a 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a 150-600 5.6 all Tamron, should work nicely with the mint condition F5 I snagged.

With the lenses you have already you should be able to pull all three off. But the flter in a good idea to help with the color in the landscapes and you can always take it off when getting close up on your dogs. ANd having a fast lens never hurts lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back