What makes a photo art?

jeremyboycool

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When does a photo stop being a photo and become art? What is it that turns a photograph into art? What separates a normal photo from one that is art?

It has to either be good, or so bad that nobody quite knows why it's bad.

It has to be different.

I'll go with that famous lawyer's definition (Oliver Wendell Holmes?).

"I can't define it but I know it when I see it."

The answer depends upon the specific definition you choose of just what art actually is. I've always liked the following:

Science tries to describe outer reality. Art seeks to describe our inner reality.

To me, a photograph crosses over the line into art when it is informed by some facet of our inner world. For examples tntm beg, borrow, buy or otherwise get hold of a copy of 'The Family of Man'.

It has to either be good, or so bad that nobody quite knows why it's bad.

It has to be different.

I don't know, O|||||||O, I might have to disagree. I have seen photos of excellent quality that failed to move me and I have seen bad, strange photos that also failed to move me. Then, yet, I have also seen the normal turned into great art. I feel there has to be more to it.

I feel there has to be more to it.

My responce was half joke. I did mean the part about it being different though. If you want to get noticed - you have to stand out from the crowd.

I don't think this is the kind of thing you can nail one definition onto. It will be different for every viewer.

What I may consider art, you may see as just another snap shot.

Art is always in the eye of the beholder.

Technically speaking, a photograph becomes art at the instant the shutter is released. Even if they left the lens cap on.

This question has been asked many times before, and never answered. There is really no answer to your question, so you know. But if you aren't asking the question for the purpose of an answer, then proceed. :)

To me, I stopped trying to come up with a definition. Art transcends the boundaries of words and descriptions.

An Example: Imagine trying to describe "Starry Night" to someone without being able to see it themselves. There is no way your description could convey the greatness of the painting. Likewise, any description of art will be more limiting than it will be liberating.

Theres no right answer here.
Art is subjective. You decide on what is art to your eye. It's as simple as that.

If you like ,it's art....if others like it,it's good art.....if they don't like it,you are hanging with the wrong crowd.lol

Nobody pays big money for a 'photograph'....

r

Most reactions

Back