What makes him so good?

IMHO, social media is a great for marketing and exposure, but it, along with cartoonish post processing fad, has diluted the photography market to the point that "photography" is barely even definable. But we could debate that point for a thousand pages.......

Regarding this guys photography, let us look at what we know. We know he is engaging in some heavy post processing. Just look at the milky way photos. Print one of those on a 20x30 and it would look like crap.

Also, take a look at this photo.

Photo by Bryan Daugherty - Photo 118478745 - 500px

Shot at f22 with no ND filter. Based on that alone we know that the guy is either a serious technical noob, or he just doesn't give a damn about quality.

I agree with you that he has found his style, but in pointing out the technical flaws, we are being honest and accurate. It could be that he is a top notch photographer and incorporates the vintage rough look on purpose.

I agree with you that he has found his style, but in pointing out the technical flaws, we are being honest and accurate. It could be that he is a top notch photographer and incorporates the vintage rough look on purpose.
And that is why I rarely post on the forum anymore. People here have he hardest time accepting art and differences in style. They pick apart a great photo to shreds. And praise boring safe ones.

I think making his photos look vintage is what he's aiming to do. Trust me, I understand the argument when it comes to adding post grain to your clean digital files.

He's the photographer and he has every right to edit the photos the way he wants to. No one has to like them, but him.

Perhaps we define 'technical flaw' differently.

If he does it on purpose, and a significant segment of his potential customers love it, I would call it a choice with which you do not concur- it is not a flaw of any kind, IMO.

Many here define 'technical flaw' as that which does not comport with what we have been taught, and which we do not care for. We are dealing with a subjective art here, folks.

I'm not saying that JTPhotography is that guy, but to those who are- get over yourselves! If a colleague is making good bank hawking the 'flavor of the month', bully for him.

Last edited:
I sometimes add grain to my images. Depending on the mood I want to set

As do I, but it really depends on the photo. I edit all my photos independently. The problem I do find with his images is that they kind of feel all the same, almost repetitive in a way and that's because they are all processed the same.

Again, that's his style and I respect that. But I got bored.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth is "To each their own"! I like automobiles and photograph them a lot. The cars I like might not be liked by others but at least the one they have are being enjoyed and driven by them. One example is the car my wife and I have we enjoy driving and showing it. There was a fellow last year that got very upset because we won a trophy at a couple shows with our car. It is a replica but there was no class for us to enter but Foreign and that is what we won in. I guess he purchased his Isetta just to win trophies and not have FUN with and enjoy. I say what ever a person enjoys, DO IT. It does not matter what it is and it looks like this person is really enjoying taking his photographs so who am I to judge his technique or interest. I did enjoy looking at them. Whenever I see something I like and am able to, I will take a photo of it so I can look at it later and share it. I think that is what Photography is all about. IMO.

Well, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, I have to say that his pictures look a lot like the kind of picture that is commonly voted for POTM around here, so it kind of surprised me to see so much criticism of his work.

Last edited:
I wonder what is Bryan's reaction once he read this thread.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
He knows his audience, he knows how to create a story, and all of his images align to that. My guess would be that his lifestyle helps him understand the audience very well which helps him set up shots that would appeal to them.

It also happens to be trendy so I'm sure that helps get people that might not directly relate as well.

back to OP, he gets the following he has by interacting with the community in a manner that yields the following. Being "popular" online like others have said takes alot of time and dedication. He did it, and has a big following.

There are a lot of haters out there and I really hope it is not jealousy that is the root of the hate. That is terribly sad.

Most reactions

Back