No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.element.gs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why is Bryan's work so popular?

Bryan Daugherty (bdorts) Photos - 500px

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attempting to criticize his work but I would like to understand what it is about his work that people like so much...?

Is that photographic technique, or heavy post processing?

I just don't understand what makes people drool over his work.

He uses an unnaturally high vantage point in almost every.single.photo. That's the thing that stands out the most to me: the camera seems unnaturally elevated in every image, which makes it seem as if we, the viewers, are there, and looking down on the scenes, which gives a sort of feeling of superiority, as if we have climbed up to the overlooks ourselves, or scaled the peaks ourselves, etc.. He hammers pretty hard on the outdoor adventure image; I live in the same area as he does, and there's a pretty large contingent of adrenaline-seekers around here, people who just loooooove hiking, mountain climbing, orienteering, and getting out into the wilds, and his photos embrace that spirit to a high degree.

dxqcanada said:
I agree with Derrel.
I actually do not find his images all that great.

Just wanna make it clear...I don't dislike his images...he has a niche...he fills it well. I hope it didn't sound like I do not like his style or his photos. I'm ambivalent about them...I can take them or leave them...I'm not really interested in nature or adventure photography or mountaineering or adrenaline-seeking,etc..

Go on Instagram, and you'll find a million others with similar processing and style with a HUGE following. That hipster/folk-vibe look is all the rage right now, particularly on insta. He melds with it, has a clean feed that presents well (they all have the same processing and feel), and that's important too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go on Instagram, and you'll find a million others with similar processing and style with a HUGE following. That hipster/folk-vibe look is all the rage right now, particularly on insta. He melds with it, has a clean feed that presents well (they all have the same processing and feel), and that's important too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which is why I'm not on Instagram. :lol:

Why is Bryan's work so popular?

Bryan Daugherty (bdorts) Photos - 500px

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attempting to criticize his work but I would like to understand what it is about his work that people like so much...?

Is that photographic technique, or heavy post processing?

I just don't understand what makes people drool over his work.

You have to impress the general public/non-photographers and you're in.
I don't think the images are that great at all, but I understand why other people would be drawn to them.

You have to impress the general public/non-photographers and you're in.
I don't think the images are that great at all, but I understand why other people would be drawn to them.

I'm not trying to tick anyone off here but isn't this the audience that you would want to impress most? It seems to me that they should be the target market and are more likely to purchase your/his stuff.

Sure it is nice to get praise and have photographers to like and appreciate your work. But that is not where the money is. (Sorry but it's not)

@DB_Cro - I see what you are saying. My mini-rant really wasn't intended two conflict what you are saying.

It just seems sometimes photographers are a "tough crowd". I don't know if it is a jealousy thing or what.

Most reactions

Back