What music do you other photographers listen to?

Yesterday I drove in to town to help Mom out with some work on the house. About a 45 minute drive and I had Pink Floyd's album Animals in jamming it out on the 6 speaker + subwoofer sound system.

"You've got to be craaazyyy. Gotta have a real neeeeed."

That's good stuff, mrodgers!

Well in North America they are completly unknown. I'm the only person in my school that didn't hear Helicopter for the first time from Guitar Hero 3.

gosh thats mad!

helicopter is probobly my favourite bloc party song
ever since i saw them in 2005 that songs still just 'wow'

I like just about anything.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of stuff I haven't heard in a long time.

Sister Machine Gun
KMFDM
Front Line Assembly
Tim Skold
Ministry

There's a ton more, those are just the first few that come to mind.

I think that listing your favourite bands without at least giving a brief description of their sound is pretty useless for the people who've never heard of them.

For instance, "Jeepy" here above me has listed some bands, but I don't know if I should bother to check them out. Maybe they'll be great, maybe they'll be hiphop artists (Which I don't care for at all). I really can't tell.

All I'm saying is, if you like the music you listen to, and you want to convince others to check it out, then it would be cool if you would make it easier for us to do so. ;)

Good idea. Drum and Bass generally goes at 160 bpm and is generally electronic. Hip hop for instance runs near 60 bpm as a frame of reference. Jazz step or Jump up is pretty listenable if you are not familiar with the genre. It has a hook. Hospital Records deals in this genre check them out. There was a member here (lifeafter2am) that combined a chillout feel to jazzstep. Beautiful music for sure. Very relaxing with the inevitable 160 bpm. Personally the DnB I listen to is much harder. Crush your head type of deal. Especially if you are not familiar with it. Tool at 160 bpm is the best way to describe it. Pendulum (jungle) is trying to make this genre popular. Noisia, Dieselboy, TeeBee are the leaders.

Love & Bass

I think that listing your favourite bands without at least giving a brief description of their sound is pretty useless for the people who've never heard of them.
Sorry 'bout that.

The bands I listed above are what I guess you would call techno/industrial, more or less...

If you like that sort of music, you might like them. Not really sure how to describe them...

If you feel like checking them out here's some YouTube videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never listen to Classical, it's enough for me that I deal with it day in and day out. I listen to some ol' Pink Floyd, any album will do. ;)

I don't know any of the bands listed. But I don't go looking for music, either. Everything I listen to was found on the radio [...] Nine Inch Nails is still my favorite band of all time. The Downward Spiral is still my favorite album as well [snip]
You should broaden your horizons a little. Not too much "good music" on the radio (for my tastes anyway).

I like NIN too, but IMHO, Downward Spiral was the last album worth buying... The later ones just don't feel the same. It's like he's trying too hard or something...

I think commercial success ruins a lot of bands. Once they start making a lot of money, it seems like their heart isn't in it anymore.

Ohh, I'll have to check out some of these bands. As for me, the best bands I've ever heard are as follows:

The Decemberists - Masters of storytelling, often with an old English spin. They rock hard, as heard in their 13 minute song - "The Island/Come and see/ The Landlord's Daughter/You'll not feel the Drowning", or their classic rusty sweet alt-bluegrass rocker "Chimbley Sweep". They take it slow on songs like "Eli, The barrow boy", and "Los Angeles, I'm yours" and still can get me tapping toes. And throughout it all, their lyrical brilliance consistently outshines nearly all other artists I've ever heard. I'm talking goosebump-inducing stuff, here.

Sufjan Stevens - Here's some music at the opposite end of that spectrum. Sufjan (Pronounced soofyan), like Colin Meloy (Lead singer for the Decemberists) has a degree in Creative Writing - and it shows. He's a Christian singer, and he touches on those subjects, but with an honest and (sometimes brutally)objective viewpoint. Highly recommended songs include "They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhhh!", "Come on! Feel the Illinoise!", "Chicago", and if you're confident enough shed a tear or two, "Casimir Pulaski Day".

The Magnetic Fields - My first foray into non-mainstream music. I've been listening to their songs for over a decade, and I'm still not tired of them. They are the the masters of texture, as heard in songs like "Suddenly, There is a Tidal Wave", "All My Little Words" and "Take ecstacy with me". Other just plain great songs are "Underwear", "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side" and "Absolutely Cuckoo".

Other honourable mentions are the bands Neutral Milk Hotel, The Fiery Furnaces, Animal Collective, Vashti Bunyan, Ben Folds(Five)

I deleted ones from your list that I either haven't heard of before or don't listen to, or ones I don't like.

Not to be all "oooh, I'm super cool", I'm not, I just have to ask, have you had the pleasure of seeing The Decemberists and Sufjan live? AMAZING stuff. The Decemberists are STILL my all-time favorite band to see live. SUCH a blast and very interactive with the crowd. I saw Sufjan twice in 2005 and I had wondered how he was going to pull off ALL the instrumentation in his music, live. But he managed without having to cut too much out, amazingly enough. Heh, I bought an Abraham Lincoln poster at one of his shows and It's framed and in my hallway.:lmao: It's funny to me, because I just never thought I'd be one to buy a poster and frame it. But it's an amazing poster.

Some of my faves are:

Joanna Newsom: I've been on a HUGE Joanna Newsom kick lately. When I clean my house, I HAVE TO listen to "Milk-eyed Mender" and when I workout, I HAVE TO listen to "Ys". Honestly, I've tried to introduce her music to people, and NO ONE has liked her. I guess I just see that her voice matches her music and I wouldn't have it any other way when listening to music. "Ys" is an AMAZING album, and I'm interested to see what she comes out with next, because I am so WOWed by it, that I don't know how it can be topped.:mrgreen: Van Dyke Parks did an AMAZING job arranging the orchestration on that album.

Van Dyke Parks (see Joanna Newsom): This man is an awesome musician/writer/producer/lyricist. "Song Cycle" and "Discover America" are great albums.

David Bowie: Been on a huge David Bowie kick for...ever.

Brian Wilson: "Smile" is one of my most favorite albums, ever.

Elvis Costello: I still love Elvis. Saw him in 2005, good show, but it wasn't intimate enough for me. I've been spoiled by The Decemberists.

I have a ton of music I listen to and a ton of favorites. But I don't have time to list them all.

Killswitch Engage
Fear Factory
Bloodsimple
Duffy
Joss Stone
Seventh Day Slumber

Anyone else have a Zune here?

Hubby is a DJ so I listen to a very wide variety of stuff. All depends on my mood. But my favs are colby calliet, Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole and Sara Baraeilles Lately.
Oh and I do listen to NPR occasionally.

Oh!

Might as well make a short list too...

Pink Floyd
Bob Dylan
Rolling Stones
Architecture in Helsinki - a little indie pop group from Australia. They did [video=youtube;DnrKxcQbP9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnrKxcQbP9w"]This Sprint commercial.[/video]
Ben Folds Five
The Postal Service
Royksopp - that one Geico commercial... everywhere I go, there's always something to remind me, of another place and time...

and so on and so on.

Hubby is a DJ so I listen to a very wide variety of stuff. All depends on my mood. But my favs are colby calliet, Isreal Kamakawiwo'ole and Sara Baraeilles Lately.
Oh and I do listen to NPR occasionally.

I forget about Iz! Great music!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back