Fotomaen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there, I am kinda new to photography but I know the basics. I hunt a lot and i want to make some films. I know how to edit and i got a Nikon D5300 with basic lens and a Røde mic. I recently bought a cheap tripod that i can carry around, havent recieved it yet so I dont know it will do the job, but anyways, The shoots I am going to take is close ranged, really fast birds and often in bright daylight. But I do want to take both stills and film. I also want to take som easy landscaping/overwiew shots. I have a ok price range, depends on how much I need it. I am not going to hunt and film myself, I have someone to hunt and film with me, so we split the job. I just need some tips, guidance and help for this project. Any answer will be very helpful, thanks.

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What lens/lenses do you have available?

For birds in flight (BIF) anything less than a quality, steady tripod and a gimbal head for the camera will give poor results for stills.
For shooting video that entails a lot of camera movement a fluid video head is needed to consistently produce good results.

The cheap tripod may work OK for landscape stills as long as it's not windy.
If the cheap tripod has a weight hook, hanging weight on the hook may or may not help the stability of the tripod in wind.
Another issue will cheap tripods is durability.

A rule of thumb regarding tripods is that we can only get of 3 things:
• Stable
• Light weight
• Cheap
A cheap and lightweight tripod won't be stable.
A stable and light weight tripod won't be cheap.
A cheap and stable tripod won't be light weight.

An issue with the D5300 for shooting BIFs is that it has a rolling shutter and not a global shutter.
A rolling shutter is likely to distort a BIFs wings.
Global & Rolling Shutters

Most reactions

New Topics