I have a feeling I'm not doing enough cropping to make a better pic - how much do you do on an average? Is that a big part of your post processing?
tks,
In theory, you should crop in-camera and never crop in post processing. In practice, you frequently need to crop after the fact. I crop the vast majority of my pictures, but rarely crop for any reason other than shape.
The pictures that I take are very, very rarely utilitarian (e.g. vaction snaps, family documentation, ...) that will be printed as 4x6 prints, or any other standard print size. My personal work (I also shoot site images for mockups for the signs I design as part of my day job) is purely for art. Rarely is the best composition a match for the aspect ratio of my camera's sensor. I frame as tightly as practical in camera leaving only the necessary trimming to alter the aspect ratio for post processing. A long horizontal landscape will be framed to fit the width of the image. The resulting excess sky and/or foreground that the camera must capture will be the only thing cropped later.
Less experienced photographers often shoot first and think about composition later. They are the ones that rely the heaviest on post processing cropping, often to the detriment of image quality.