What paper finish to get for landscape photos?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been interested in getting my favorite landscape photo printed and hung on my wall but I can't decide what paper finish I should get. I was wondering what other landscape photographers here (who print their photos) that would use on my photo so it looks the best?

Erwin-170830-14646.jpg

In the past I've used Metallic but typically only on b&w photos because it really pops. I haven't printed a landscape photo yet so I'm unsure would make this shot stand out.

Thanks in advance!

I think this would look really good printed on metal.

My preference is matt textured paper. Generally that is more appropriate for mono landscapes but can work quite well for colour as well.

What type of print do you want?
The Digital Print: Preparing Images in Lightroom and Photoshop for Printing

C-prints are made using light sensitive paper coated with an emulsion that is developed chemically. Matte or glossy C-prints can also have a Lustre coating applied that offers additional sheen and UV light protection to delay light damage to the print.
Metallic paper is another C-print option as is paper specifically for B&W images.

Inkjet prints generally have better longevity than C-prints, as long as archival materials and inks/dyes are used to produce and display (frame) the print.
There are both aqueous and solvent based inks/dyes that have a range of color fastness.
Not all inkjet printers are equal. Your image has many gradients in it, so the more colors an inkjet printer uses the better the print will be.
When prints are made using an inkjet printer the 'tooth' of the paper used is a consideration as is
Inkjet prints on metal are made with UV cured inks/dyes and the metal has to have a special coating applied to it before the ink/dye is applied.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also like Luster.

3rd for Luster. Can have deeper saturation than matte, higher in contrast, less chance of glare, less chance of fingerprints showing.

Glad to see you're going to print this. Luster is good, and I also like the idea of metal, which captures color gradations like this very nicely.

My rule of thumb is that, if it's going to be on a wall, and particularly under glass, it's luster/pearl. I like glossy for some applications -- files, binders, index photos. I have never really liked metallic finishes, though. I find they detract from the image, and seem to be trying too hard to shout "hey! I'm metallic! I'm cool!" Metallic makes me think of souvenir shop merdewerk. (Not meaning to insult anyone. You photo is great and deserves much better than metallic.)

So Lustre it is! I gotta get a physical print of it so I can show it off because I got a couple buyers interested!

It will be the first time selling a print in years. Everyone usually wants them for free lol.

Most reactions

Back