What percentage of the time are you using flash?

A lot of good information here. And sorry, I realized after I posted that I accidentally typed D instead of SB for the flash he was discussing. I take a lot of pictures of my kids and family, so you've convinced me I need to save up for a flash. Man, this hobby gets expensive really quickly. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing I use flash 0.00000000001% of my life.

Of the portion of my life I have a camera in my hands, that number probably increases to 2 - 3%.

A lot of good information here. And sorry, I realized after I posted that I accidentally typed D instead of SB for the flash he was discussing. I take a lot of pictures of my kids and family, so you've convinced me I need to save up for a flash. Man, this hobby gets expensive really quickly. :mrgreen:

I have an SB400 in the FS section. Great little flash you can bounce indoors or use as a fill.

My family members are cats so here are some of the first pictures I took using it:

6692_662766623466_270766_n.jpg

12154_705207072466_14186_n.jpg

Last edited:

I have an SB400 in the FS section. Great little flash you can bounce indoors or use as a fill.

I'll check it out. Thanks. I came here to ask a question before you posted about the flash you have for sale, so this isn't directed at you in any way, but what types of things should I be looking out for when purchasing a used flash?

90% of the time if I am shooting people.
0% of the time if I am doing landscapes
50% of the time if I am shooting interiors
50% if I am shooting wildlife
90% if I am shooting still life
0% if shooting moon shoots
90% if am shooting macro

Do you use a flash in you underwater photography ?

I should mention, I just bought an umbrella and a small softbox. After all the reading/researching and my testing I've found some limits of my bare flashes that I don't like. So now I'm venturing into being able to soften that light a bit for more control.

... Man, this hobby gets expensive really quickly. :mrgreen:

Wait until you start thinking about umbrellas and stuff.

I should mention, I just bought an umbrella and a small softbox. After all the reading/researching and my testing I've found some limits of my bare flashes that I don't like. So now I'm venturing into being able to soften that light a bit for more control.

... Man, this hobby gets expensive really quickly. :mrgreen:

Wait until you start thinking about umbrellas and stuff.

Not worried about that. I don't generally shoot when it's raining. :wink:

I use flash a lot when shooting portraits.

Probably around 80-90% of the time. And also when I'm doing photojournalism I often use flash.

But other than that, I don't really use it just because I have it. I just love having complete control over the light, because I'm a perfectionist (the bad kind btw, not trying to toot my own horn), and being in control keeps my relaxed.

I find that I use flash 100% of the time when it is needed and 0% of the time when it is not.

100% of the time if I am shooting people.
0% of the time if I am doing landscapes or nature shots.
75% of the time if I am shooting interiors
0% if I am shooting wildlife
100% if I am shooting still life

But you should always use a flash 100% of the time that it's needed.

This

Hello,

I was recently having a discussion with the owner of my local camera shop and he told me that he uses flash for 90% of his photography. Indoor, outdoor, he said it doesn't matter. If you want to take really great pictures, you need to get used to using a good flash.

This is the attitude that I just can not stand. It is so crazy to think one can't become a great photographer using just a camera and available light. I have probably used flash enough times to count on my fingers and toes. If you learn to use light (whatever light you have) you can take good photos.

P.S. I mostly shoot people...97% of the time. Every image on my flickr is done with available light.

95% of the time if I am shooting people
0% of the time when shooting indoor volleyball
0% when shooting baseball in the sun

90% of the time if I am shooting people.
0% of the time if I am doing landscapes
50% of the time if I am shooting interiors
50% if I am shooting wildlife
90% if I am shooting still life
0% if shooting moon shoots
90% if am shooting macro

Do you use a flash in you underwater photography ?

Yes, I do! For anything within 6' to 8'... depending on water clarity! Forgot that... lol!

Hello,

I was recently having a discussion with the owner of my local camera shop and he told me that he uses flash for 90% of his photography. Indoor, outdoor, he said it doesn't matter. If you want to take really great pictures, you need to get used to using a good flash.

This is the attitude that I just can not stand. It is so crazy to think one can't become a great photographer using just a camera and available light. I have probably used flash enough times to count on my fingers and toes. If you learn to use light (whatever light you have) you can take good photos.

P.S. I mostly shoot people...97% of the time. Every image on my flickr is done with available light.

Funny.. I seem to remember you starting to use flash, and you did well with it. It can help... or a reflector can help. Or you can only shoot on perfect, soft, diffused days... or not. You say if you learn to use light.. you can take good photos! True.. and a Flash = Light (when you need it!). Limiting yourself to only AMBIENT light is very limiting! A good photographer uses whatever is needed to get the image... and I don't care how "GOOD" you are, sometimes have a little extra light is all that is needed to make the image a keeper...

Hello,

Funny.. I seem to remember you starting to use flash, and you did well with it. It can help... or a reflector can help. Or you can only shoot on perfect, soft, diffused days... or not. You say if you learn to use light.. you can take good photos! True.. and a Flash = Light (when you need it!). Limiting yourself to only AMBIENT light is very limiting! A good photographer uses whatever is needed to get the image... and I don't care how "GOOD" you are, sometimes have a little extra light is all that is needed to make the image a keeper...

Ahh and this is where Charlie and I butt heads. I personally, feel like I can photograph almost anything in available light. I have shot full sun, cloudy days, rainy days, backlit, indoors low light, indoors plenty of light, in hospitals, supermarkets...the list goes on. Bottom line you do not need flash to make good images. What you need is knowledge of light and creativity. You need to think how you can use the light to tell the story.

I am not arguing that flash does not have its place. I am starting to use off camera flash and honestly, I am excited about it! But to argue that you can't take good photos without it is just ludicrous. Just take a look at my website or flickr. As mentioned, they are all natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back