What percentage of the time are you using flash?

I use flash in about 60% of my shots but I believe that any beginner should first try their best to use the natural light and learn how to make decent pictures based on it. After some time, people can start using flash, but still, they should know first how natural light works and then add flash.

Agreed! Flash is for more advanced lighting techniques...

I was gone for a few days, but I wanted to say thanks for all of the information and opinions. A LOT of helpful stuff here. Cheers!!

I'm an advocate for suggesting to the newbie to get an external flash before getting a new lens, in general. It really does make a difference in your typical photos. But what it does the most is to get the amateur to begin seeing light as an integral part of a photo. I use flash as often as I can. If I can use a flash, I then consider if adding multiple flashes will get the image in my head onto the sensor.

I was recently shooting cars on an overcast day. It seemed brighter than it was but my shots where showing up dark. The only flash I own is the factory pop up flash. So I flipped it on for the heck of it and saw an instant improvement. Even shooting at a small distance! Now the standard pop up flash wasn't a solve all, I can see what an external flash will come in real handy for situations like that and will look into one soon.

In my work (contractor), I take photos of the work/job site every day, whether the light conditions are right or not. So the big flash is on my hotshoe almost every time. If the work detail's in shadow, the flash provides enough fill to allow me (and the client) to see the detail despite the shadow. If I'm having to shoot against the sun, the flash helps immensely. If I'm doing an inspection inside or in the attic or elsewhere, there just isn't enough light to fully illuminate the subject area without using the flash. So in my case (field shooting and documenting) it's a key element in providing good, informative images. Even if it is not firing, it's on my camera. Just in case.

I will also say .. I ALWAYS have a flash or two handy... in case it will be needed to help Improve a shot, even if I don't anticipate needing it. And I often find that it DOES improve things...

For events, I use flash probably 3-5% of the time. Basically a last resort... I prefer natural light and don't mind a little grain if it doesn't look too "digital". I just absolutely hate the look of flash and always have... it looks really unnatural. It's really hard to record the ambience of a room when it's been nuked with artificial light.

For anything else, I will use artificial light if it's necessary or serves an artistic purpose.

Flash is easier. It's harder to get a picture of some sort with flash, because you have to get the flash out and monkey around with it. Making a good picture is a lot easier with flash in a lot of cases.

Flash ain't some secret knowledge, it's not magic, and it's not hard. Making good pictures without it, now, that can get pretty tough.

Primarily enjoy shooting landscapes and architecture so not often. Portraits and indoor almost 100% of the time.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Flash is easier. It's harder to get a picture of some sort with flash, because you have to get the flash out and monkey around with it. Making a good picture is a lot easier with flash in a lot of cases.

Flash ain't some secret knowledge, it's not magic, and it's not hard. Making good pictures without it, now, that can get pretty tough.

Depends on what you're trying to do with it. Most flash application is really easy. All you have to do is know where to put it and how to balance the light.

But if you get in the Joe McNally realm of lighting. It's both spectacular and tricky.

Less than 1% of what I shoot involves using a flash. If I can see the subject and work with the light, there is no reason to create something that isn't there by adding a flash. I liked the image in the first place because of the feel it had with the available light, a flash changes the look.

Thanks for info.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back