What radio trigger should i buy?

Misfitlimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking into buying a radio trigger for my flashses. I own to 580 ex ttl flashes by canon and want to start using them off camera but im a little overwhelmed with the how many options and what not. I know i want one thats doesnt have too many chords and what not so if anyone has any suggestions as to which one would work best id appreciate it. O ima use them for outdoor sports and what not. "strobist" if u will thanks in advanced

Pocket Wizards are the 'industry standard' but they are on the expensive side.
Elinchrom Skyports are a little cheaper.
Paul C. Buff Cyber Syncs are a little cheaper yet.
Cactus (E-bay/Gadget Infinity) sets are very cheap but results will vary.

I use CyberSyncs and like the performance I'm getting from them.

Most of my shooting buddies (the serious amateurs) use CyberSyncs but a few (the semi-professionals) are using the newer E-TTL capable PocketWizards.

Since you have two 580's, I would go with the CyberSyncs. I use them and they are 100% reliable, well built, affordable and Paul Buff stands behind his products with the absolute best customer service.

If you have the money to drop, the Pocket Wizards are probably the best. They allow you to do things like buy a card for your L358 light meter to trigger the flashes wirelessly to do metering. Not essential, but nice. That being said, I'm 100% content with my CyberSyncs.

Pocket Wizards are the 'industry standard' but they are on the expensive side.
Elinchrom Skyports are a little cheaper.
Paul C. Buff Cyber Syncs are a little cheaper yet.
Cactus (E-bay/Gadget Infinity) sets are very cheap but results will vary.

I was looking at the pocket wizards and now the cyber syncs but it looks like i have to buy a main unit and a slave unit? or am I incorrect?

For the CyberSyncs you need a transmitter for the camera to transmit the signal, and you need receivers for the flashes.

In the case of the PW's, they are "transceivers" and can act as either the transmitter or the receiver.

Thanks a bunch guys Ima place an order for some cyber syncs soon.

I have had Cactus V4's for about 30 days now. I just did a simple range test last week. And up to 200' they work absolutely fine. The manufacturer states 100' range. They did work beyond 200' but starting around 240-250' misfires started to occur. But for the price I think they are a good deal. I almost bought some Pocket Wizards but glad I waited as they are comming out with better models that allow adjustments. Until they come out with the ones I want. The Cactus V4's are just what I needed.

My wife just used them again this morning on a real estate photo shoot where the house had a very large overhang and the front was very dark. She used 4 flashes to light up the front. And they worked flawlessly. With the Cactus V4's I have enough recievers for 6 flashes, and 2 transmitters. For under $200 delivered. As for longevity I can not attest too yet. But at the moment they are providing good enough performance that we can buy the better Pocket Wizards later on.

I have had Cactus V4's for about 30 days now. I just did a simple range test last week. And up to 200' they work absolutely fine. The manufacturer states 100' range. They did work beyond 200' but starting around 240-250' misfires started to occur. But for the price I think they are a good deal. I almost bought some Pocket Wizards but glad I waited as they are comming out with better models that allow adjustments. Until they come out with the ones I want. The Cactus V4's are just what I needed.

My wife just used them again this morning on a real estate photo shoot where the house had a very large overhang and the front was very dark. She used 4 flashes to light up the front. And they worked flawlessly. With the Cactus V4's I have enough recievers for 6 flashes, and 2 transmitters. For under $200 delivered. As for longevity I can not attest too yet. But at the moment they are providing good enough performance that we can buy the better Pocket Wizards later on.

After doing some research I just decided to give the Cactus V4s a try as well. I am hearing they are pretty solid, especially for the price.

I know If I would use X flashes I would probably shoot in manual anyway but are the pocket Pocket Wizards only ones that allow ETTL?

Also if I got the canon 580 and I have the 430 can I fire the 430 with the 580, if the 580 is on the hot shoe without anything else?

Does the 430 have to be some what facing the 580, is the range limited and will everything work on auto?

I know If I would use X flashes I would probably shoot in manual anyway but are the pocket Pocket Wizards only ones that allow ETTL?

Also if I got the canon 580 and I have the 430 can I fire the 430 with the 580, if the 580 is on the hot shoe without anything else?

Does the 430 have to be some what facing the 580, is the range limited and will everything work on auto?
You might want to start your own thread for all these questions.

Ok, I know I'm thread jacking here, but I'm in the same situation as you. I want to get my 580 EX II off of my camera. I saw a thread the other day here that someone put a link to B & H that had a really affordable lightstand, umbrella, and the holder for the umbrella for about $50 total. I just need some way to trigger the flash. I like the cost of the cactus V4's, but am wondering if this is all I would need to start off. Simply the stand, umbrella, umbrella adapter, and a cactus V4 transmitter and reciever?? Is there something else that I'm missing? I know I have a lot to learn about lighting, but until I get the darn flash off my camera and experiment, I'm getting no where. I don't want to spend a bunch of money right now because I just want to try it out for a while (and I'm really trying to save for that full frame sensor which is why I don't want to spend my meager savings on lighting yet). I just want to get started...and as cheaply as possible. This set up almost sounds too good to be true though...I must be missing something (special batteries or something??) Thanks and I hope this wasn't off topic here just hate to keep starting new threads on the same subject.

linpelk: That should do swimmingly. I have the same set-up for my flashes with my Cactus V4's; no complaints here (yet).

Most reactions

Back