Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Aperture

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Shutter

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Manaual

Votes: 34 40.0%

• Total voters
In that case(if you're looking to be on one side or other of the meter) why not just shoot in Aperture Priority and use exposure compensation?.

I do this quite often, but I also find often that it fails. Matrix Metering for instance can be slightly unpredictable. I was shooting a sporting event the other day and found the image to be slightly overexposed. So I took the EV down by -0.3 to bring the highlights back in, which worked well until suddenly there were more players from the other team in the scene and I ended up with a rather underexposed image. Quick flick to Manual and the rest of the event was very consistently exposed.

Basically what I am saying is that there's always a reason to shoot completely manual. Just like there's always a reason to shoot in any of the automatic modes (other than Program, there's never a reason to shoot that).

In that case(if you're looking to be on one side or other of the meter) why not just shoot in Aperture Priority and use exposure compensation?.

Basically what I am saying is that there's always a reason to shoot completely manual. Just like there's always a reason to shoot in any of the automatic modes (other than Program, there's never a reason to shoot that).

:lol: True, that.

Unpredictable you say? Nuts. I wonder how the 7D is going to behave.

Im about 50/50 on M and A. It really depends on the conditions at the time.

Question for those who insist on all manual all the time - do you not just generally find that you choose an aperture value or shutter speed first, based on the situation, and then get the camera's light meter to 0 by adjusting the other value, meaning that in effect you're just taking the long way to get to Av or Tv modes?

Yes.

BUT.... once settings are selected, they remain where they're set.

I guess it might just come down to what one shoots... how one works. Nearly everything I shoot is in a "controlled" environment (meaning constant lighting). When the lighting changes, I re-meter.

-Pete

Question for those who insist on all manual all the time - do you not just generally find that you choose an aperture value or shutter speed first, based on the situation, and then get the camera's light meter to 0 by adjusting the other value, meaning that in effect you're just taking the long way to get to Av or Tv modes? I went through a phase of making myself use manual mode to help me learn stuff better, but found it rather pointless in that I would always just use the camera's meter anyway. Now the only time I use manual mode on the camera is with manual strobes.

I don't insist on Manual but when I started photography there were very few auto cameras and I learned to use manual. I'm so used to it that I still shoot this way. Auto modes are weirder to me than manual, that's all.

But I have to agree with the fact that sometimes you just have to shoot in manual if you want to get the shots.

Just curious about what setting everyone prefers, or uses more.

Loaded question. What do you shoot? I use all answers at various points during a day, but since it's sports, I'm the lone TV used more in the results so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back