What settings would you recommend for sports at night?

SomberVision

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok I was at the skatepark the other night riding. So I pulled out my camera and took some pics. This is one of them.
Kevin_Lookback.jpg

And I was wondering what settings to use at night so the subject wont be blurred and stuff. I had my camera set on Shutter Priority and it would only let me go up to 90. What do you suggest.

Now why would you take a picture of a red cross anyway?

I see it as well, both home and work.

What ISO are you using? Maybe if you upped your film speed, then you would be able to get a faster shutter speed to stop the action better.

You should be working with at least 800 speed film - maybe pushed to 1200 or 1600. Depends on the lighting you have, you'll need to get to a shutter speed of at least 1000 to stop blur.

Your question raises more questions?
Are you using Tripod, Monopod or hand holding? A monopod would be the best

Do you use a flash? Would a flash be distraction to rider? Using a flash will stop motion and allow the use of slower film

Film Color or B&W? : both Kodak and Ilford have 3200iso B&W, they require push processing,

Film speed? High speed films of 800iso and up have course grain, and make poor quality print. Some people like this type of grain. Not me

What do you what to do will the shoots? Make enlargement or post on the WEB? Thisgoes back to the grain issue. You maybe able to get away with more grain on the WEB.

That distance will you be for the subject

Also I saw this shoot right way at home but at work had to use the trick of going to host site to load it in to my cache

SomberVision said:
And I was wondering what settings to use at night so the subject wont be blurred and stuff. I had my camera set on Shutter Priority and it would only let me go up to 90. What do you suggest.

I can't see the pic. Were you using your flash? If so it's probably because your flash sync speed is 1/90th. You are going to need a faster lens, faster film, or a more powerful flash (are you trying to use the built in flash?).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back