What should be in your bag?

TCampbell

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I'd start one of these "What should be in your bag" threads. Note that "bag" isn't a literal term and some of this stuff wont fit.

I've got my own list, but I thought I'd hold off to let others build a list before I chime back in. I have about 3 or 4 items that I think "everyone" should own which are not camera bodies or lenses, but I consider them to be very important items anyway.

My idea is this: If we post a list of what we each think should be in every photographer's bag, then new guys can use it as a reference to see what they haven't thought of.

BTW, this isn't so much a "list every item you own" ... it's more of a "what essentials to do you think every photographer SHOULD own?" I own a lot of gear that I don't think _every_ photography should have, so I wasn't really expecting to list those.

Lens brush
Lens cleaning kit
Extra batteries for everything
Extra memory card
CPL filter
ND filter
Remote shutter release
Quick release plate (for the tripod that won't fit in the bag)
Hood(s)

I had a hose-bag on the back of my bike the other day, but...never mind the topic is what should go in it heheh

Excluding typical camera stuff:

Waterproof top and trousers (poncho and trousers also viable).
Kneepads
Water bottle
Some form of food!
If in winter add hat, gloves and scarf (though you might wear these out its good to keep them in the bag during the warming and cooling seasons when the weather can turn come the end of the day - - if shooting wildlife bring all 3 anyway).
Torch (wind up LED or if regular barreries make sure they are charged!)
Map (mark on it near important places of interest - like the nearest pubs and such - might be an OS map if you're hiking or could just be a local town guide map if going about town).
Slip of paper with your address and telephone number clearly marked (in case you lose it and someone nice picks it up!)
kneeling pad/poncho/ground sheet (ie something you can put on the ground and kneel/sit/lay on without getting yourself muddy)
Binbag (debateable depending where you're going, but if you've any chance of getting muddy its great to put some items more heavily soiled into whilst heading back - no point wearing that thick, wet, muddy jumper if you can bag it and not have to worry about it).

Extra batteries for both your camera and speedlight (also extra batteries for pocketwizards if you use them) really, extra batteries for everything

some sort of white balance instrument (expodisc is may favored tool personally)

lenspen

earplugs (mostly for concerts, but other times they come in handy as well)

light meter (you don't need one until you need one, which is usually the one time you forgot it, so always have it)

remote or shutter release cable

extra sync cable (cables like to fail at the most inopportune moments, especially sync cables)

two pocket wizards (having them always in the bag has saved my butt more times than I care to count)

extra lens and body caps (we've all lost the body cap and had to let the lens stay in our case bareback for a rough ride home, where you are freaking out the whole way, just do away with that fear)

mini speedlight soft box (they're not ideal, but they can save your butt in a pinch and take up next to no space when collapsed)

CPL

ND filter

hoods (though really I think of these as more a part of the lens, always either on the lens normally or inverted on the lens while in the bag.)

extra tripod baseplate

3-4 extra SC/CF cards

Combo SD/CF card reader

swiss army knife (actually probably the piece of gear in my bag that's saved my but most often

duct tape

Extra __________.
Fill in the blank with whatever you already have in your camera bag that you will need.

Depends.. a pro would have different needs than a hobbyist, or a wedding photographer would have different needs than a street photographer, or a photojournalist would have different needs than a studio photographer... etc.

Depends..

I hadn't thought of that, but it sure makes sense for those really long photo sessions and not a toilet in sight.

The question is kind of loaded, "What should you be in your bag?" As others have pointed out so tenderly.

The spirit of the question is not lost on me however. 480sparky's list is a good one.

Being a wedding and event photographer, mobility is key. Other than the obvious: cameras, lenses, flashes, extra batteries/cards, here's my list:

light meter (my trusty sekonic 358 is solid gold)
WB tool of choice (for me it's the expodisc)
lenspen
sensor cleaner zipper pack
what I call my "bride bag" that holds bobby pins, safety pins, superglue, Advil, etc. (I can't count how many times that bag has made me look like a HERO)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Being a wedding and event photographer, mobility is key. Other than the obvious: cameras, lenses, flashes, extra batteries/cards, here's my list:

light meter (my trusty sekonic 358 is solid gold)
WB tool of choice (for me it's the expodisc)
lenspen
sensor cleaner zipper pack
what I call my "bride bag" that holds bobby pins, safety pins, superglue, Advil, etc. (I can't count how many times that bag has made me look like a HERO)

When your shooting events how do veiw the photos and get prints on site ? most event photographers over here carry veiwing stations, laptops, dyesubs no such thing as shooting events and mobility, only when shooting

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back