What should I do?

Cadem8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
I've just signed up to this forum in hope that someone can help me out.

Currently I own no cameras of any kind except my 8mp camera on my galaxy s2.
I'm finding a very hard time trying to choose between 2 cameras.
One of these is a bridge camera the other is a DSLR.

My father used to be an amateur photographer and my Uncle worked in the industry, I have to choose between either a Fujifilm hs30exr or the Nikon D310.
The HS30 has a fixed lens (obviously) but has an optical zoom range of 24-720mm.
The Nikon on the other hand doesn't have a fixed lens so I would be purchasing different lenses for it.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on lenses etc. and my budget is quite tight (for now only tight enough to buy each camera on it's own (With kit lens for the Nikon).
My Dad says get the HS30 and my Uncle says get the Nikon, what should I do?

I want to try out photography and already have a nice collection of pictures on networks such as instagram (not the best I know but I am capable of editing photos with photoshop, etc).

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

I like the fact that the Fuji has a large zoom, but I want a Dslr because of the quality and fact that you can change the lenses to for example higher quality ones.

For those who can't be bothered to research the cameras
Excuse me, "can't be bothered"???? :confused: When you want assistance with a problem, it's best to check the attitude and phrase things a little more politely!

That said, I would suggest the D3100; the huge zoom range of the Fuji means that it's going to be a mediocre performer at best, ESPECIALLY at larger apertures and extreme ends of the zoom range. The Nikon is an entry-level body, however it does give you the flexibility of using a huge array of lenses that will likely suit your purpose better than a "Swiss-Army solution" such as the Fuji.

Thank you very much.
I didn't mean any offense by that, I was just saying.

I like the fact that the Fuji has a large zoom, but I want a Dslr because of the quality and fact that you can change the lenses to for example higher quality ones.

The Nikon is nearly 100 pounds more than the Fuji, so if you can afford it, go for the Nikon.

Like the other posters have said, I would go with the Nikon. You have a vast range of lenses and you now belong to a community that can help you develop your skills (with either camera), but a lot of people on here post deals and also sell used lenses for prices that even craigslist or Ebay can't match. If you got the Fuji camera, I could almost assure you that you will eventually mutter the words "dammit, I should have went with the Nikon" when you see what kind of limits are set with a fixed lens camera. I am not saying it's a bad camera, I'm just saying that the options are open with the Nikon and closed with the Fuji.

The Nikon is nearly 100 pounds more than the Fuji, so if you can afford it, go for the Nikon.

What's the weight got to do with it.... lol ( I know, but I just couldn't help but ask!!)

Most reactions

Back