What size film reel is this???

BPpark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am preparing to sell some old Nikkor stainless steel tanks and reels, but I have one reel that I've never used and can't identify. I inherited it from my dad, who used it in the 1940s. It's three-inches high with an interior dimension of 67 cm or a hair over 2-5/8 inches. I poked around on Google and could find no reference to a roll film of this size. I doubt if I'm going to get any takers for this particular reel, but I would at least like to know how to describe it. Does anyone have a clue?
IMG_3626.JPG

Describe it by the measurements.
They are made to accommodate a variety of roll sizes.

If you like you can also let people know it's linear capacity in feet, inches, and mm.

Thanks, but I don't understand. I have used 120 and 35mm reels in the darkroom, and they are made so that the film winds around the hub and follows the spiral of the top and bottom edges. If this is an all-purpose reel for a variety of roll sizes, how does the user keep the film from collapsing on itself in the tank?

The length is the variable measurement, not the width. The width is 6cm or what used to be called 2 1/4.

I think you mean it is 67mm or 6.7 cm not 67cm.

That's a 120 reel. (70mm film).

Joe

It's a 120 reel.

That's a 120 reel. (70mm film).

Joe
+1
Also suitable for 220, as it's the same film on a different spool. :)

A 220 roll of film is longer and won't fit on a 120 reel -- half the roll would be hanging out of the reel with the reel loaded. A 220 reel has a much tighter wind.

Joe

I'm sorry folks, but this isn't a 120 reel. I have a 120 reel and it's 6 cm (2-1/4); it fits 120 film perfectly, and I have used it for such. This reel, which I have never used, is for a wider film, nominally 7 cm. Did Kodak or others make a 7 cm roll film for still cameras? (I don't believe this reel was intended to process movie film--it's made for a 3.5-inch wide developing tank and can't hold a film strip of more than a few feet in length.)

I'm sorry folks, but this isn't a 120 reel. I have a 120 reel and it's 6 cm (2-1/4); it fits 120 film perfectly, and I have used it for such. This reel, which I have never used, is for a wider film, nominally 7 cm. Did Kodak or others make a 7 cm roll film for still cameras? (I don't believe this reel was intended to process movie film--it's made for a 3.5-inch wide developing tank and can't hold a film strip of more than a few feet in length.)

New to me then -- no clue.

Joe

Bronica used to make a 70mm film back for the ETRs cameras so I imagine this is for 70mm film.

Could it be old enough that it held film larger than 120? I have old cameras that took film like 116 that was larger (longer spool). The early numbering by Kodak doesn't seem to have any method to the madness! lol and I can't think of the site that lists all kind of early Kodak film sizes and the years in use. if I do I'll post it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back