What size film reel is this???

That's the site!! should've known who would know that.

I could see if any of my 116 box cameras (that I just got for the art deco style to display) still have the spool and measure.

The early numbering by Kodak doesn't seem to have any method to the madness!

Looking at the History link above there is an obvious method to roll film numbers all the way up to 130 the numbers are purely the order they are first released in.
The method isn't useful to work out which film is which but it's there.

Also suitable for 220, as it's the same film on a different spool. :)

A 220 roll of film is longer and won't fit on a 120 reel -- half the roll would be hanging out of the reel with the reel loaded. A 220 reel has a much tighter wind.

Joe

Sorry I meant 620 :icon_redface:.
If it's a little wider than 120 would a 130 be the right film? (2 7/8" is about 73mm)

Also suitable for 220, as it's the same film on a different spool. :)

A 220 roll of film is longer and won't fit on a 120 reel -- half the roll would be hanging out of the reel with the reel loaded. A 220 reel has a much tighter wind.

Joe

Sorry I meant 620 :icon_redface:.
If it's a little wider than 120 would a 130 be the right film? (2 7/8" is about 73mm)

The C2/130 film is the closest thing on the history chart, but at 73 mm it would be too wide for this reel.

That's the site!! should've known who would know that.

I could see if any of my 116 box cameras (that I just got for the art deco style to display) still have the spool and measure.
The history chart says 116 was 2-1/4 by 4-1/4; I have seen negatives of that size. Very strange. But that film wouldn't go on this reel.

I use binary film now and it's whatever size I want it to be. :)

Yep it's a reel for 70mm film, there is no way it could load a 120 film as that is only 61mm to 63mm wide.
Just to keep photographers confused 70mm film was approximately 65mm wide but when used for movies it was printed onto 70mm stock hence the name 70mm film.

well BP, went to my junk box and found two film reels that would hold rollfilm that fits that reel. They are both the same length, just larger. The bigger wooden one is 116 and the thinner metal one 616. These are Kodak #'s.

IMG_0004s.jpg

The cameras that they fit, at least the ones I have are a mid to late 20's autographic, the Brownie box and that handsome folder probably from the 30's to early 40's.

IMG_0001s.jpg

IMG_0003s.jpg

..so quite likely your dad would have processed this film size either from one of his own cameras or from one of his friends.

Very interesting. From what I've read, 116 and 616 film produced negative images that were 2-1/2 by 4-1/4. If the film left a 1/4-inch margin above and below the image, then that's what I have, a reel for 116/616 film! And speaking of folding cameras, I still have a Bee-Bee similar to that Kodak model, with Compur Rapid shutter and Zeiss Tessar lens. Still can't bear to part with it.

Exactly BP. Here's a pack of negs from that camera processed Sep 8, 1939. This was my father in laws camera. Just for fun, I included the unedited scan with a bit missing along the right edge because of my scanner mask is sized for 120.

There are how to's on the internet to alter 116/616 cameras to fit 120 without any permanent damage. Imagine the great time you would have shooting a roll with that BeeBee. The Kodak awaits the same adventure as soon as I treat it to a new bellows.

IMG_0006s.jpg

AFM010s.jpg

Alas, I never had a roll film back for the Bee-Bee, only for the discontinued Kodak film packs or individual sheets.

I have the same box Brownie in the picture that you posted, Dan. I was thinking it was 116 or 616. I think I read too about adapting a 120 spool to fit those cameras but haven't tried it, but I should do that sometime. I enjoyed seeing the photos you posted.

Great find BP having a reel for that size film. Do you have a tank that will work with it? Hope you can use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back