butterflygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photosbymcdonald.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

I just wondered - what size white vinyl should I purchase? I already have three muslins and wanted to get the vinyl - it photographs so nicely. Just thought someone might have some thoughts.

Thanks!

Vinyl for a background? I would think that it might be too glossy...although, it is available in many different colors & textures etc. (I work for an industrial fabric company :roll: )

Vinyl for a background? I would think that it might be too glossy...although, it is available in many different colors & textures etc. (I work for an industrial fabric company :roll: )

Hehe - I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing :) It's white vinyl backgrounds - they are on sale at www.dennymfg.com :)

They have sizes from 6 X8 to 16 X 24 - just not sure what a "good" size would be. Bah! :sexywink:

Interesting, I suppose we have vinyl that would be similar that what they are selling...but all of the vinyl we get is on 60" rolls. If their 10', 12' & 16' is truly seamless, that's pretty impressive.

Interesting, I suppose we have vinyl that would be similar that what they are selling...but all of the vinyl we get is on 60" rolls. If their 10', 12' & 16' is truly seamless, that's pretty impressive.

So what size would you say is most useful - I keep going back and forth on what I think I'd need. Of course I would use it for head shots, but I'd also like to use it for full length and children sitting on it, etc. ???

I would think that it would be best to go as wide as is practical for you. Head shots is pretty straight forward, you wouldn't need a big one, but for anything wider, or kids (who never sit still)...the wider the better. But you have to have enough space to set that up. I think the vinyl is meant to be rolled, and not folded, so don't get anything wider than what you can deal with.

butterflygirl, in the room where you will be using this (you won't want to move it around, it's heavy) Look through your lens and measure the width that you can see plus a little on each side for safety. You will also want to measure floor to ceiling and then on out into the foreground for complete coverage of you field of view. I am guessing your source is a flooring shop? What Ive seen done is to make sure that the backing is bright white and use that to cut down on the glare and then use white shoe polish to cover over the shoe scuffs that won't wash off.

For groups of 4 or under I would think 8' wide would do and maybe 16' long for an 8' ceiling.

Again, this is not light so it will need to be solidly mounted on the wall. I does wear well though so you should be set for a long time.

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back