What software for RAW files?

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I switched from shooting JPEG's to shooting RAW. Also got photoshop so I can start playing around with my images. So of course I now need some software to download my raw images, right? PicturePerfect 1.7 came with the camera so I loaded that on the 'puter. However PP seems like garbage to me. It is allowing me to download my images from the camera but not edit. The editing features wont work and each image says 'unkown error' under it. Also what do I need to do to edit my raw images in photoshop? When I try it says the photoshop does not recognize .nef files. My goal here is to switch away from JPEG and never go back, however I'm stumbling on the software part. Thanks from a noob.
Tom

I have a Nikon D40X. Photoshop 5.5 (its old but it was free). I'm not stuck on free though. I'm willing to spend some money to get what I need.

download picassa its free and pretty good

go to the nikon website and download the free software that they provide.
It will do some types of editing.

picasa2 will allow you to down load raw files and do some minor editing.

Or, you may need to go to adobe and download an update that will allow you to open and edite raw files.

Thanks for the picasa program. I have downloaded it. Been looking for a photo album for my computer. My photoshop hasnt come in the mail yet.

-Puma-

I have a Nikon D40X. Photoshop 5.5 (its old but it was free). I'm not stuck on free though. I'm willing to spend some money to get what I need.
I think you can get the RAW camera plug in at www.adobe.com and, serarch for D40X RAW it should point you there. But with 5.5 it is debatable as to how good it is. Or there is always Lightroom which seems to be popular. I use CS2 myself. ANd Picture Project is junk, I tried it and, uninstalled it. You dont need it at all you can use PS or, Windows will work to get the pics off if you have XP atleast. If you use Windows you will have to name the files so it doesnt get stupid about the numbering system.

As far as I know you need CS3 to use ACR with the D40x. I use Nikon Capture NX with Windows and Raw Developer with Mac OSX for working on Raw files from the D40x.

Best,
Helen

Ok, so I downloaded the 30 day trials of CS3 and Lightroom. I guess I have a month to decide whether I like them. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and for putting up with me.
Tom

Most reactions

New Topics

Back