What speedlite?

Corbin Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking about getting a Canon 430EX but I'm not sure, I don't have a huge budget. Also, what's the difference between the 430EX and the 430EZ?

What camera do you have? The EZ series flashes are older, as mentioned, and that means that they won't communicate with modern cameras. They may work but in manual mode only.

If you have a digital EOS cameras or even a newer film EOS...don't bother with EZ flashes, stick with EX units.

There are off-brand flashes that will work with the TTL metering of modern cameras. Sigma makes one or two that might be worth looking into.

If you really want to save money, you could go with a flash that doesn't communicate with the camera for metering. A Sunpak 283 for example. You would, however, need to know or learn a bit about how to get good results with a flash like that.

What camera do you have? The EZ series flashes are older, as mentioned, and that means that they won't communicate with modern cameras. They may work but in manual mode only.

If you have a digital EOS cameras or even a newer film EOS...don't bother with EZ flashes, stick with EX units.

There are off-brand flashes that will work with the TTL metering of modern cameras. Sigma makes one or two that might be worth looking into.

If you really want to save money, you could go with a flash that doesn't communicate with the camera for metering. A Sunpak 283 for example. You would, however, need to know or learn a bit about how to get good results with a flash like that.
I've got a Rebel XTi, I looked at the sigmas but people said that they felt cheap and were very loud, that kinda made me push those aside.

I love my 430EX. Some day, if I really feel the need, I can get a 580 and use the 430 as a slave. One thing to consider is that you are probably going to want to invest in an off-camera cable for it too.

I was thinking about getting a Canon 430EX but I'm not sure, I don't have a huge budget. Also, what's the difference between the 430EX and the 430EZ?
Hello I am using this flash for a year now, on a Canon 5d . Great flash, very complete ans easy to use. (friendly flash intensity menu) Worth every penny

Most reactions

Back