What's new

What the heck happened?

AK47J

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 31, 2014
Messages
101
Reaction score
41
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Girlfriend and I took her two daughters out for a night of light painting. And something weird happened. I was using a Konica Hexanon 28mm f/3.5 lens on a Sony A6000. The red and blue lights are cheap "pinch" type key chain LED lights. Notice how the blue light image is right side and inverted and repeated into the background, but the red is not. I am baffled. What the heck happened?
DSC06649.jpg

DSC06644.jpg
 
More likely that the blue light got reflected off a filter on the front of the lens; the angle or colour being just right to catch a reflective angle whilst the red light might have been held differently and thus didn't cause the effect. If you didn't have a filter fitted it could also be internal reflection within the lens (normally lenses are corrected to avoid this).
 
Doppler Effect? lol

The Blue LIght is actually repeated several times going into the background. Reguler, inverted, regular, inverted.
So I would think what Overread stated .. in the lens.

Either way, I think those are "awesomely kewl" images.
 
Last edited:
Suppose I should experiment with that blue light and other lenses.
 
More likely that the blue light got reflected off a filter on the front of the lens; the angle or colour being just right to catch a reflective angle whilst the red light might have been held differently and thus didn't cause the effect. If you didn't have a filter fitted it could also be internal reflection within the lens (normally lenses are corrected to avoid this).

I agree... get rid of that filter.

Incidentally we are far more sensitive to blue than we are to red. When I do planetarium presentations I can use a 5mw "red" laser and the only thin you see on the planetarium dome is the red dot projected by the laser. But if I use my 4.2mw (tested) "blue" laser then the ENTIRE ROOM glows blue when I switch it on -- even though the red laser is technically brighter than the blue.

I'm not surprised you see the reflection of the blue led but not the red. Also notice you only see the brightest parts of the blue being reflected (the parts that are nearly white).
 
Forgot to add, I was not using any kind of filter.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom