What the heck to Charge???

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,

As some of you know, I've just gotten started with off camera flash photography and I've been very aggressive in studying and practicing.

Anyway, in that vein, I've done two photo shoots for two different friends. The first was a junior prom and last night was another at a friend's son's birthday party. I brought along all my stuff including background stands, lights, etc... Just about everyone at the party came up for a picture with their kids, of their kids, alone, you name it, they came up for it. I didn't go crazy with the posing. I did position them in relation to the background and other basic things that I've learned, but I didn't go crazy with it. I had a long line for a good part of the time. It was definitely a lot of fun.

So here's my question. At this party, the owner of the hall where the party was being held, told me he was very impressed with my setup and that he wanted my contact info for other events. One event he mentioned was that they were working on getting various celebrities (singers, comedians, etc...) at this hall to make monthly appearances and have fans pay a premium to have a photograph taken with the celebrity. The celebrity would be on site for no more than 30 minutes.

What the heck would I charge for something like this? I have no clue. I don't think I'm biting off more than I can chew, but maybe I am?

Thoughts? This guy might be calling me and I have to have something to tell him.

Thanks,
Danny

PS: I hope I've posted this in the correct forum...

My question is: Was he impressed with your work or your gear? I'm not questioning your work, but anyone can buy a ton of fancy gear which someone who doesn't know much about photography will automatically assume means that you know what you're doing and will produce good work.

My question is: Was he impressed with your work or your gear? I'm not questioning your work, but anyone can buy a ton of fancy gear which someone who doesn't know much about photography will automatically assume means that you know what you're doing and will produce good work.

I hear you...

That's the thing of it as well. I'm assuming he was impressed with the setup (my gear) because I've never meet the guy. I would imagine he would ask for some samples, but when I present that and assuming he likes what he sees and then asks "How much?", what do I say?

I might pass on this altogether. I would hate to do this poorly and then gain some sort of bad reputation over it.

I'm put in this dilemma at times aswell. Most of the people I photograph know nothing about it, yet they feel more comfortable if the pay me. If the demand is there, set your price. But do it reasonably.

Find a lab and get a price on 5x7's, 8x10's and see if they can put a package together for you. A paper frame that you slip the photo into would add to the presentation as well as give you an oportunity to put you name and phone # on the back of it. Look around at the photographers in your area and price for the work done. This is where we make a mistake and not price the work properly. Have a decent sample of the work when you shoot , # the images well and keep decent records.
I would go for it.
-
Shoot well, Joe

That's the whole point i was making. Set your OWN price.

That's the whole point i was making. Set your OWN price.

I got you. My concern is to not price myself out of it, or quote a rate so low, the client would raise an eyebrow.

I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

Danny

Ive done lots like this and we print on site with a dye sub printer and charge £10 for a 8x6 mounted in a strut mount or you can find out how many will be at the eventand charge the promoter a set sum and everyone gets a print at the end of the night, if people can see a print straight away they will buy let them leave the event and you will not get many sales

So here's my question. At this party, the owner of the hall where the party was being held, told me he was very impressed with my setup and that he wanted my contact info for other events. One event he mentioned was that they were working on getting various celebrities (singers, comedians, etc...) at this hall to make monthly appearances and have fans pay a premium to have a photograph taken with the celebrity. The celebrity would be on site for no more than 30 minutes.

Does he think that your camera takes really good pictures too? Google search. You'll find a million forum threads asking "What should I charge" with ten million responses of, "We can't really tell you what to charge because we don't live in your market, shoot in your market, shoot for your clients, or do whatever type of photography you do.

There are some great resources out there to find estimates and quotes of what you should charge.

Does he think that your camera takes really good pictures too? Google search. You'll find a million forum threads asking "What should I charge" with ten million responses of, "We can't really tell you what to charge because we don't live in your market, shoot in your market, shoot for your clients, or do whatever type of photography you do.

There are some great resources out there to find estimates and quotes of what you should charge.

Thanks for your response.

He didn't mention anything about my camera, but maybe he does think that.

:)

I've already begun to look into those resources. Like you mentioned, I found a lot of forum questions asking the same thing with many different responses.

Danny

Ive done lots like this and we print on site with a dye sub printer and charge £10 for a 8x6 mounted in a strut mount or you can find out how many will be at the eventand charge the promoter a set sum and everyone gets a print at the end of the night, if people can see a print straight away they will buy let them leave the event and you will not get many sales

I haven't spoken to the owner of this venue beyond our initial conversation, but my idea is to charge a flat rate for my time, including the shoot and post processing. I really don't want to get involved in the printing portion of this. I would provide a CD with the completed files and he can print and disseminate them to whoever paid for him for it.

Danny

How do you plan to handle the legal aspects of photographing, and selling, images that have "various celebrities" in them?

As a contractor for the owner of the venue would he not have to do anything since he is handing over the product to the Venue owner who is then going to do the actual selling?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back